white river boat launching question

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by cadyman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    I'm thinking about going big and purchasing a 2472 seaark modified v with a jet. I'm curious if anyone has had issues launching or recovering in the white river with longer boats and trailers. I live close to the henderson ford ramp, so naturally that would be my first choice of a ramp to go to, but i would eventually be exploring south to other ramps from there on. I was thinking i could maybe modify my trailer and add a skid plate at an angle in front of the wheels in case they do fall off the end of the boat ramp. But i don't have experience with that, or even know if thats a reasonable thing to do with as much as i'd like to be river fishing. In the long run the 24 foot isnt too much more than the 2072 payment wise so i would like to get the most bang for my buck and have more space but the last thing i want is to be limited launching in my favorite place to fish (white river). Any advice is appreciated.

Chris

2. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Chris, I fish the White but am only launching a 14 footer. I launch out of Paragon Ramp and don't think you would have trouble there but I really have no way to be sure. Then there is the newer ramp in Gosport. That ramp pretty much faces down stream and I have been told the water is 12 ft deep at the ramp. Again, I have not launched there so I have no way to be sure.

I will say I watched the Indiana River Cat's load their boats at Gosport after a tournament and there were some good sized boats there. I don't think a 24 footer but close. They also launch and load out of Paragon ramp.

They have a site on Facebook you might use to ash them questions about the white river ramps. I also think they posted the dates and locations on this site for this years tournaments.

I can't think of any other help I can provide but if you have any questions, just ask.

tight lines

Carl Spitznaugle likes this.

3. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    i appreciate the reply Tom. I have a 14 foot john boat as well, and i have never really given it much thought about possibly slipping off the back of the ramp with the trailer. but i got to thinking today and its going to take a little more space to get a 24 floating and then recovered than im use to. I was just thinking i could look into one of those trailers with rollers on it too as an option, either way i think if there's a will there's a way just gotta get it figured out.

4. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I have seen an attachment the fits on the trailer frame, just forward of the wheels to prevent the trailer wheels from dropping into a hole at the end of a ramp. I think that is what you are thinking about. Just from thinking about it, it would not seem to be hard to make an attachment that would prevent the wheel dropping. You are right that a 24 foot boat trailer would have to venture into new territory that might have a hidden hole.

A 24 foot will be a huge boat for the White. Especially when the water gets down to low pool. Last week when I was trying to follow the channel up river I got into 2 ft of water. There are definitely some shallow stretches.

How big of a jet are you considering to push the 24 footer and do you know how much water is needed just to float a boat that large?

If you decide you need a good welder especially for aluminum, We have one in the area. Lives just west of Plainfield, has his own shop building, and repaired aircraft for a living.

Keep us posted on you progress.

tight lines

5. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Chris, I talked to an individual that fishes the While all the time in a jet boat. He said he would be afraid of running aground a lot in a boat that big. The weight requires a little more water. I think they are all running 18 footers or less. My 2070 tiller model would work because even though it is 20 ft it only weighs 700 pounds.

Anyway, give it some thought.

6. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I thought I seen the Skipper and Gilligan riding the S.S. Minnow one day on the East Fork. I believe they made it in water but they went back out really quick.

Carl Spitznaugle likes this.
  7. buckeater

buckeater Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think the only place in the white a 2472 would work would be the Petersburg stretch. I have a 1860 jet and I don’t think I would even launch it at Henderson ford in the summer time

8. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    Hey thanks for the replies y'all, I'm trying to make the wisest purchase i can. I want the boat I get to be as versatile as can be. I know I will be wanting to put in the white river more than anywhere else, but i still want to be able to hang at places like Lake Monroe too and not feel like im going to get capsized (at least thats what im hoping for). so i figured the bigger and wider the better. Either boat i get, I have decided to put the console all the way up forward with a full walk thru windshield. I may end up going with the 2072 because i cant lock myself out of my favorite water to fish but the 2472 is only about $1,000 more for the boat, and thats 4 more feet to fish out of! . But i still haven't made up my mind. There is a big benefit catfish tournament coming up in a couple weeks, they are having a cookout and raising money for a young girl. I may end up going down there before the weigh in and conversing with people and checking out the catfish rigs as they come in, and donate to a good cause. here is a picture of the boat i want, whether it ends up being 20ft or 24ft is TBD.

2472.PNG

9. Lost-River-Jones

Lost-River-Jones Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Paul
    Chris - Where are you getting your boat from?

10. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    That is a nice looking boat Chris. With the console way up front, there would be a lot of room in the back.

11. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    I have talked to 2 different dealers. One is ducky's boats in Pennsylvania and the other is Oxbo marine in wisconsin. They both have good websites and knowledgeable people. I have talked to duckys more, to a guy named steve he's been very helpful. I know there are closer dealers, but both of these dealers had videos on youtube of the boat im looking for that caught my attention, so i reached out to both of them for info.

I havent fully decided on my layout or size yet. I know i want to keep it as open as i can, thats why i really like the console all the way forward with the full windshield. I dont need a permanent livewell, i have a cooler i have setup for live bait. i'll use a truck tool box when i need a larger one if i ever make it to some of the local cat tournaments. I really like the idea of having plenty of room. I will most likely just do the 2 captains chairs at the console, and then leave the back open or maybe add one 8 foot storage box and seat covers with a removeable backrest on that. I have been thinking about putting a cheap house recliner in the back of there, that would be awesome lol.

12. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Dan
    I love my tracker 175TF but it’s not a catfishing boat haha layout is not correct for it... however it’s very stable even on pretty rough water at Monroe. I’ve never felt uneasy. That said I do pay attention to big wakes and bad winds and plan accordingly.
    I’ve been eyeing the Lowe catfish 20 for a while but I have to say that sportsman 200 (2100 now) sure looks sweet - have yet to justify spending that much but it will probably come to pass one day...

eastforker and cadyman like this.
  13. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    I have an old 1989 17 ft aluminum bass tracker i have decked out with monster rod holders and a monster rod rack. I like it but it's just not enough space. I need a bigger boat and a more versatile boat that i can take anywhere. I have too many boats. hopefully with the purchase of my next one i can start selling some of the ones i currently have, im a packrat when it comes to my outdoor stuff though, i never want to let any of it go. My other one is a 14 foot semi V john boat with a 8 foot shaft thai style motor kit on it. I also have a 10 foot plastic 2 man tracker boat. All of those will be for sale eventually lol

eastforker and Jesus Saves like this.
  14. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Hi Chris, did you ever get your boat? I've been looking around at a jet myself, and I really like the Seaark 2072 with the walk thru windshield. I called Steve at Ducky's and he recommended adding the timber runner front end since I want to be able to mount a trolling motor with quick release.
    Just wanted to see if you had any feedback on the boat, thanks!

15. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    I ended up going a different direction and purchased a side by side ATV lol. I still very much want to get the seaark, but its going to have to wait a little longer now. So no, unfortunately i do not have any more feedback to give yet.

typer181 likes this.