The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Jon, I would recommend checking that gear oil when you get back from the gathering. If you get water in it this time of year and don't remember it, it can cause you a major problem. If it has water and we get a freeze, it can crack the lower unit casing. That is a major expense. With just the cost of a little tube of gear oil, you will sleep a lot better. And it would probably be well worth it to replace the two seals.

If when you load your boat up to leave the big river, you loosen the bottom drain screw and let just a little gear oil out and then tighten it back up, you will know if there is water in the oil because it will be milky. If you don't loosen the top screw you will not lose much oil in the process.

Just a thought.
Good point Tom, I didn't think of that. I will definitely do that before I leave on Sunday or when I get home. Hopefully it was just a loose screw but we shall see.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Random battery question guys, since I now have that deep cycle battery in the boat, should i also hook up my lights and depth finder to it as well? Its an old simple depth finder so it probably doesn't use alot of battery but I don't know.

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,080 Posts
It would probably be a good idea to hook it up to the trolling battery given you don't have a lot of experience in the boat. If the unit draws the battery down it would be better to have a trolling motor failure than to not be able to crank. Both ways should work fine and I have run them both ways. Since my trolling battery is new I am running my unit off the new trolling battery now. My older smaller cranking battery is getting a little weaker.

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
As a general rule I connect the fish finder and lights to the crank battery. That is because they do not draw a lot and when I run the motor that battery is charging.

You can run them off of the trolling battery if you are not sure. The trolling motor might cause some interference on your fish finder. Some do and some don't.

If you end up with a low crank battery, you can always switch batteries to start the motor and get home. Be sure to have the tools necessary to do that or some jumpers.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
Boat update: Met up with Tom. He made a nice rod holder for me and installed it to my boat. Its pretty solid. Thanks amillion Tom!

20200925_203315.jpg
20200925_203332.jpg

Everything has just fell into place this week. I kept at it and got everything done. I'm excited about tomorrow!

Well I'm about as ready as I think I can get. Gas up both rides in the morning and I'm set. Now I need to try and wind down so I can get some rest. I have alota fishing to do tomorrow. First time I'm taking the boat to the Ohio River!:cool1:

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
With the current water levels I think they all went south. I looked at my stretch from the ramp bridge yesterday and we have a new island in the middle of the river and a wide section is now a thin channel.

Sure wish Google Earth would photograph my section right now. It would reveal a lot.

But to answer your question, those flatheads are in those deeper holes still holding water.

Any idea what the water temp in the east fork is? I may go check the west fork water temp today. Just curious.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The water level is ridiculous. We have a rented lot on the main fork and I have to "walk" the boat out to the channel and even at that it's narrow and tricky. There are some 20' holes not far upstream I think the wife and I might try to go up there this weekend. We went 2 weeks ago and hit a sandbar in the normal channel so you have to motor just off the bank to get by. The fishing has been slow the past month as well.

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
I just went out and took some picks of the area I try to fish a lot in my boat. Of course I can only see what is visible from the bridge but if you want to see where the river channel is and and submerged logs, it is a good time. I sure wish I had a drone with a camera tight now. I would be visually mapping the river anywhere I could get to.

For those that have not found it, Google Earth is good for doing that. You can open it and go back thru the years and find periods of low water that will show you a lot.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Yeah my guess is deep holes too. If I could ever find some time to go there are a few I would like to try. Both on land and in boat. Just been too dang busy.

In other news I received a package today.

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
Great. Wiring should be simple. Three cords. One that plugs int the wall. One with two wires + & - for one battery and the same for the next one.

Just read the instructions closely and if you have questions, I am sure we can get you an answer.

For me the hookup was easy. finding the best way to control the bundle of wire took longer.

I let my jail house bass go yesterday. I hold them for a while but let them parole them for good behavior after 4 days or so.

If I get a chance I might wet a line in that top picture somewhere soon.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Tom and I went out on the west fork yesterday. Water was ridiculously low. Good thing we have some rain now, we needed it. Anyways we had to stay in the channel mostly, we knew when we weren't because the motor prop would b dragging on gravel. We were throwing cut gills . Had a few hits but nothing committed. Weather was dang near perfect along with great company. We had a great much needed afternoon together even if the cats didn't want to play.

Now I did learn I still need to practice more on backing up the trailer down the ramps....practice practice practice!

·
Administrator
10,497 Posts
I won't say anything about the trailer backing. lol

But with the number of attempts I wondered if I would need new trailer tires. haha

I will say, some folks that carried their plastic "Bass Raider" could have helped a lot by not just setting it at the top of the ramp. Then their truck was parked just a few feet directly in front of the ramp making it impossible for anyone with a trailer to get it backed down the ramp. The finally moved it but they only moved it about 15 feet so it did little to help Jon. Then they just sat there waiting on a truck with the trailer to show up while Jon went from "D" to "R" to "D" to "R". Some people just don't get it.

Jon finally got it jocky'ed around.

Still,even with Low water and working around folks that didn't have a clue, it was a nice few hours on the water. Weather was great and it will go into the books as fishing time.

Thanks for being there Jon.

·
Registered
Jon from Indiana
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Yeah they were RIGHT in the way. Parked right infront of a big sign that said don't block the ramp. That frustrated me some which made me loose alittle focus on backing up. Then I felt like the bank fishermen were watching me along with some random guy that came out of nowhere.. So I just tried to block all them out and focus. Took longer then i wanted but we got it done. Practice Practice PRACTICE I will!

Oh and your tires should be fine Tom😁

161 - 178 of 178 Posts