White River 2020 Hunting for Flatheads

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trophy Flathead Hunter, May 18, 2020.

1. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Always hate hearing about someone loosing a rod & reel but here is the most important lesson to remember,

Definitely not worth it.

That was a tough evening but it may have taught Dustin's daughter a valuable lesson that may save her some expensive gear in the future.

Haha and then there is always that "the one that got away story". She will always have that too.

And finally there is all that benefit of it helping clear out some of those flee market setups you have leaned in the corner.

Thanks for the update.

2. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Fishing on rip rap and I can't put my rod in a holder I lay my rod side ways with a few rocks against the middle of the rod and few on the other side of the rod butt. It makes me feel a little safer about my rod.
    Most of the time I use the bait feeding reels or lower my drag way down. Even using a bobber on the river if I'm not holding the rod I put it in a rod holder.
    You never know what might bite even using worms.
    Got this big turtle yesterday evening on a bait run.

IMG_20200703_205819123.jpg

The story reminds me of the last time I used a fork stick for a rod holder. I wasn't watching my rod and when I did look back the fork stick was broken and my rod was gone. Luckily my rod got caught in tree roots in the water and I pulled in a 31 inch flattie.
    I believe I have learned a thing or two until the next time.

3. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Yea I've been thinking about it all day ( imagine that) and I was kicking myself in the butt about not jumping in but the more I think about it I believe I made the wiser decision.

We were saying the same thing about her having that story forever now!

I did have all those extra rods n reels lined up pretty against the wall....but they kept falling over and I got tired of picking them back up. So yes they are in the corner lol

Speaking of those i actually had my wife put them online for sale acouple weeks ago. I was trying to just sell them all in one whoop but no bites. I was hoping someone who does flea markets saw it and would jump on it quick. Looks like i will just have to nickle and dime them out myself. I'm putting that money towards a new reel I been wanting.

4. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Yea all my setups had the runners activated, even my bobber rod that was right next to hers. And after we lost that and she started using another setup we did put it in a holder haha

Your right that fish could have been anything though since it was a worm for bait. If I was to take a random guess I would say big ole carp or channel cat....but only the river knows!!

eastforker likes this.
  5. eastforker

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Could of been that trophy flathead. :wink1:

6. Brackish*Water

Brackish*Water Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    I agree. Indiana state record. Tom will probably catch it with the rod and reel still attached.
    :tongue1:

7. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Guys I jus stopped thinking about it....And now I'm thinking about it again now:cry::roflmao:

8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I do know where he was at.

9. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    just think what that new PB flathead avatar would have looked like.
    would have been epic.
    :cry:

10. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    :laugh:.....:O_o:

I wish I was out on the river bank right now, we had some rain and its a full moon! My last 2 pb have been ona full moon.

11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    The Avatar would have been epic but it would have been a young lady holding that monster, while Jon sat on the bank wringing out his socks and shaking the water out of his cell phone. Now that would have made an avatar. haha

12. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    All she used was a red worm like a foot out and a foot deep on the float:eek:

And here I thought large, lively baits was key:confused:

13. eastforker

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I always seem to catch my bait very close to the bank.

14. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Had to return the boat back to storage. Decided to hit the river up while i was close by. I just packed for a short trip. Didn't even bring baitfish , just caught it at the river. Caught a few blugill and a small minnow. One rod cut and one live. Baitrod with bobber and redworm in same spot where other rod got dragged away (rip) WITH my runner on IN a rod holder .(net extended and pockets empty!)

While I was rerigging a rod it starts peeling drag like crazy. I set the hook feel it for a second then nothing. I look at the hook and it bent out. I wasn't mad its a light wire hook, what do you expect. Best believe I'm going back to useing the same hook I used when i lost that big channel Friday night. I put alot of pressure on him and that hook was still straight.

After I rerig alittle I throw out and almost immediately get hit. Missed it. Step on another small bluegill and tossed him back out. Same thing, hits almost immediately. I get him, Its a small flathead!

My live bluegill was dancing around but nothing was interested. Was a really nice peaceful night. I left about 1130. Wanted to stay longer but responsibly calls.

Stay tuned there will be some more flathead hunting adventures sooner then you think, someone has this whole week off:cool:

Heres that flatty. See guys they dont all spawn at once, go catch yourself one....buuut this guy probably isn't mature enough to spawn:roflmao: 20200712_223926.jpg

15. eastforker

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Jon it is awesome that your still getting flatties.
    Hope you can figure out and catch that drag puller.
    Probably has a few hooks already in his mouth.

16. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Went out yesterday for the afternoon. Posted up along a jam thats starting to look aged. Moss growing around it, theres a pallet in it, and also a shoe. Thats a good jam.

So had cut and live river gills right next to it. Live got slammed twice but of course I missed. Seemed like a flathead hit. Cut didn't get touched.

While I was fishing conservation officers were out on a nice, big fan boat. I never seen them out on the river like that. So they pull right up next to where im fishing. One hops out and talks with me for a second. Then checks my license. I thank them both and tell them I appreciate them out here. Then they take off.

Told him I was after flathead but I know they are probably spawning right now. He agreed and said usually the first full moon in August is when they are done. Seems kind of long if you ask me but hey I don't know everything. I'm still learning.

Stayed out untill I ran out water. Too dang hot not to have water. Forgot about day fishin, its alittle different. Thats why I like goin at night.

Anyways no cats but a nice afternoon out. I can't always catch them but you guys are still going to hear about. The good, the bad, and the ugly. This lifestyle aint for everyone.

Just dropped my wife and son at the air port. They aren't back untill Sunday evening. I'm trying to get a game plan together for today/tonight.

The hunt continues....

17. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Jon, I am not sure but what the game warden isn't right but it is all in his exact words. The spawn might be done at the first moon is August but there will be a lot of the flatheads that finish earlier. So it is all in the terminology.

I may try to get a little fishing in now but the river is back at low stage.

18. Brackish*Water

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Wesley
    thanks for sharing these tips
    I think I will start fishing sunken timber my next time out for flat heads. there is a ton of it...complete full size trees submerged.
    when you fish around that kind of stuff do you just see how close you can get your line testing the waters until you get hung up? I guess thats about all you can do its the only way to find out.
    Im liking the idea of tying up next to the bank by some eddies and structure and kickin it waitin for a bite. (I have never caught a flat head)

19. cadyman

cadyman Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    chris
    Tom you are welcome to come join me sometime on the bank of the white river. I got a couple decent spots that may hold ya over until the water goes up a bit and you can get your boat out.

20. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Thanks Chris. I do have a spot or three here that I can get to. My walking is limited now because I don't breath well. I can get about a hundred steps and have to stop for a breather. Carrying gear makes it worse. When I can take the boat, at least all the gear is right there. Also I can put the boat in at a place or two now. I am just limited on how far I can go before the river gets too shallow.

My main thing right now is the wife's serious medical issues and since she can not walk at all I son't get very far away or for very long.

Thanks for the offer though.