White River 2020 Hunting for Flatheads

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trophy Flathead Hunter, May 18, 2020.

1. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Hey guys I figured I would just start a white river thread for my trips since thats where I mainly fish. That way its all together and I can look how I have been doing this year and compare my notes. I'm going to try and start putting down more info on conditions. Anyone can add anything they want, the more info the better. I've already gone a few times this year but Saturday night was my first night trip. No flatheads yet.

Alright let the hunt begin....

2. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    So like I said I went out Saturday night. Itt was going to rain but I didn't care, I just want to night fish. Had a bucket full of some pond gills. I had to walk to a new spot since the first spot was taken. My buddy was meeting me out there so I was getting setup. He finally came and said he thinks the people were leaving so he goes checks.

While he is gone one of my live gills starts doing the "oh crap theres a flathead" dance. Then it hits. Next thing I know my line is just every so casually going down river. I know that pace, thats the king of the river with my gill in his mouth, bet.

While thats happing my line gets around the tip of this log I'm fishing right in front of. I'm thinking 50lb mono I have him, no little tree is going to hurt this line. So I go for the hookset and almost immediately regretted it.

The line was fine but at the angle I was at with the line it was not a good hookset. I felt it for a second and a big splash then nothing. I should have fed more line out and whipped my line over the log before the hookset. Lesson learned.

My buddy finally made it back and said he wanted to move to the other spot. I said ok. I will definitely revisit this spot. Small log jam above where I had my line. It was just about to start turning dark when it hit so I'm guessing he just left the jam.

We ended up leaving around 12 or 1. Only got sprinkled on slightly. I had my rain gear if needed. I didn't get a water temp but will next time. It was muggy at first but finally cooled off after sunset. Will definitely have more info recorded next time.

As always it was nice being out. No pictures to share this time. Ill get one next time;)

cadyman, typer181, eastforker and 2 others like this.

3. Lost-River-Jones

Lost-River-Jones Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Paul
    Looking for forward to this thread! Thanks for starting it. I won't ask for your spot except to ask what county are you fishing in?

4. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Paul! I have fished marion, morgan, and owen county so far. That trip was in morgan. Im slowly working my way more south.

Lost-River-Jones likes this.
  5. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    I have been catching some big lively gills for bait and have had fun watching them bend my rods and pull out line.

6. eastforker

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    This guy hit a red worm in flooded water under a bridge.

5-23-20.jpg

7. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Flatties count no matter how small!

8. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Congrats Stacee!! Beautiful coloring!

eastforker likes this.
  9. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Well I'm back from the river, it was a muddy one. Went back to the spot I went last week and caught 2 flathead and one channel. My brother caught one flathead too. That was both our first catfish and flathead this year. None were big. He got his on a gob of nightcrawlers and mine were all on live gill. Had cut gill out but a turtle seemed to be eating it. It was a steep bank so no water temperature. We got rained on for alittle bit but after it quit they started hitting. Oh and of course I missed a couple runs:cool1: great night out with my brother ! Ready to get the boat running so i wont get so muddy. I need a shower... 20200524_220715.jpg 20200524_233339.jpg 20200524_233448.jpg 20200524_235644.jpg

10. Brown Cat Kayak

Brown Cat Kayak Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mark Templeton
    Congrats guys, doesn't make any difference how big those flatheads are, they are flatheads. ;-)

11. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Thanks Mark, yes we enjoyed them! I'm ready to get on some more now.

eastforker and twaskom like this.
  12. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    I forgot to mention that channel hit a blugill bigger then its mouth. He thought he was a flathead i guess!

And in the middle of the rain we saw 2 people in kayaks paddling down river in the dark. I thought that was alittle dangerous....

eastforker and twaskom like this.
  13. Brown Cat Kayak

Brown Cat Kayak Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mark Templeton
    My kayak is rigged up with a trolling motor and the whole works, even a spotlight and running lights for night fishing. I have been waiting for some warmer weather to get out, now the gnats are terrible since it warmed up. ;-/ I did catch a nice channel the other day but want to fish flatheads.

14. eastforker

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Nice fish Jon. Obviously a decent spot for flatties.
    Some of the banks are dangerous after they have been flooded also. I always lay some sticks and debris around in the mud so I don't fall down as much or fall in the water. I keep my net ready and close to the water where I will try to land a fish.
    I believe I carried out 5 pounds of mud on my boots the last time.
    Definitely a good time to go fishing with some rain and muddy banks you won't see the fair weather fisherman taking up all the fishing spots.

15. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    Just got home from the river. Was using hand size bluegills and redears. Caught a 14.2 lb flathead on a redear that hit like a mack truck 20200529_213859.jpg 20200529_215619.jpg 20200529_223238.jpg 20200530_024716.jpg and a 7.5 lb channel on cut gill. It was great being out!

16. eastforker

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Now that is some good bait Jon.
    Nice big heads on those catches.

I went out last night and fished with some live and cut gills.
    I cast the baits where I normally sit on the bank. lol
    When I go out again tonight I will have to cast to where I was sitting last night.

17. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    I caught 4 of those hand size ones consecutively, I've never had that happen before. I felt like a little kid again reeling those in on the ultralight! They were caught from a pond.

A little more detail about last night, at first we were fishing in a slack area spot. I caught that flathead on current seam. Had another take down but missed. After my buddy left I moved down some infront of some wood and debris that was collecting on some down logs. At first I was casting in front of the mess and letting the current pull it under it. After awhile I started to use my brain and realized they probably wouldn't be there right at that moment. Then it hits me, I'm sitting on an undercut bank. So I reel up and just let the line drop straight down. Thats where I caught the channel.

I had a few other takedowns and runs throughout the night but no hookset. I'm pretty sure they were smaller cats that couldn't get the whole bait in its mouth. The bait fish had bite marks on them when I investigated them.

Also caught a dink channel on the baitrod, that was fun.

18. eastforker

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    A trailer hook on top the bluegills tail has worked for me in the past. Channel cat trying to steal your bait off the hook.
    Good thinking Jon for dropping the bait in front of you.

I got strange looks and laughed at yesterday when I fishing a foot or two off the bank. Although I was fishing for bait I did catch a 14 inch large mouth bass and plenty of green sunfish.
    The laugh was on them since I was the only one catching fish.

One thing I have learned is never rule out the water close to the bank. When it doesn't pan out I then cast 6 miles.

19. treddinwater

treddinwater Well-Known Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Name:
    Rick
    Looks like you had a good night out there, Jon. I've caught some of my better fish just a few feet off the bank before. My only complaint with that is it makes it less sporty when you're fighting them haha.

20. Trophy Flathead Hunter

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
    I thought about a double hook rig Stacee but decided against it. If I'm missing them because they are small I'm ok with that. I'm trying to weed out the small ones anyway.

Your right Rick, it felt like I had that channel caught within 5 seconds even though it was about one minute. While I do try and get them in quick so I can release them safely, I do enjoy a longer battle of tug of war!

Welp I went out lastnight, tried another spot from the night before. Nothing except alot of people out. I should have went back to other place. Ended up walking more then I wanted, I finally get to an opening to fish only to find out why noone is there. Its right in the current and my baits won't stay. So I end up walking back and seting up next to a huge group of people. And they have bright lights. And they love shining them. All the time. In my eyes. Sooo frustrating. But I deal with it. Then acouple guys post up in-between me and the large group of people. They have lights too. They like shining them in my face as well.:bored: they weren't crossing my lines or being loud, and I don't own the river but I just wanted alittle space to my self. Ended up walking to another spot. On my way I ran into another group of people. I'm not sure I'm coming back to this area, not on the weekends anyways. Thats public access spots for you.

Anyway back to fishing, that large group of people were catching some channels. Nothing was interested in my handsize offerings. Water was up. While it wasn't the most productive night and I walked alot more then I wanted to it was nice being out. I left alittle after midnight, was tired and have stuff to do today.

I gotta get that boat running, I'm too out of shape to be lugging around everything I do.:O_o: