White Perch

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Topname, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    I went to some docks on lake Norman Friday at about six to get warm up for today and in 30min I got a lil mess of white perch here are some pics

Attached Files:

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Top, those white perch are good to eat, plus the heads make great catfish bait. Mac

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Them are some nice looking Perch that you caught thank you for sharing the pictures with us, glad to hear that you had some luck if i was you i would save the heads and use them for catfish bait, and good luck with your future trips and keep us posted on how you do.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Matt where I live in east KY they call a drum (sheepshead up north) a white perch. Are the pics Terrance posted of what they also call mooneye? That's the only fish I've seen in the KY river that looks like those.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on some nice Perch.

6. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    Thanks for the tip I got the heads on ice for a future trip

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i've never seen one of those, but they do look cool. how do you catch em? what do they taste like? welcome to the boc terrance!

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We have a few drum here but they are different fish from the white perch.

9. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That's a nice mess a fish, Terrance! Now share with the rest of the class how you caught them. I have been curious to try for these around here this year. I don't think there are a lot around, but I know of a couple small lakes that are supposed to have some. I would love to learn some tips and tricks on catching them!

10. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    They are real good to eat I loved them. I use regular crappie minnows you can catch'em on top or the bottom. Night crawlers work well too

11. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    depending on what part of the region your from, fish are called different names. here in texas those are just called white crappie which white perch is just another name for them. crappie is probably the best tasting freshwater fish there is.

12. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have never seen a crappie that looked quite like that. every crappie i have caught, black or white, has a spotted tail. those have tails that look more like a sand bass, and they are almost solid white, and they seem to have pointed tail fins instead of rounded. maybe it's just the lighting???

13. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    I have a book thats says it is not a true perch but a member of the temperate bass family. Its close relatives are white and striped bass. White perch is just the name they gave them

14. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    i know here in kansas there are concidered a nuisance fish,in fact one lake is so over run with them that if you catch one it is illeagle to return it back into the water alive.they are overrunning a few lakes around southern kansas.please be very careful as not to transfef them to new waters as they like to eat alot of diffrent kind of fish eggs and can over populate very quickly.

15. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    I know what you mean they basically got rid of our white bass population

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    We have a lot of white Perch here also. What we do is use a sabiki rig tipped with crawlers. We just set the rod in the holder with a weight at the bottom of it. I like to do it while drifting because it shows drifting speed by the angle of the line. I've watched many cats pass up on Herring and hit the perch only.

-Jim-

17. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    They aren't that bad here, yet, but I know in the last few years they have started becoming that way. It is illegal to transport live white perch here, too. I don't think anyone would have a problem with me transferring them into the hot oil pond! :wink: Yum