White Perch

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TA2D, Jul 20, 2007.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Anyone know what works good to catch these buggers? There is a lake that is about an hour and 15 mins away that is over run with them, and I hear that they make great cut bait, can only use them live on the lake, if you plan to take them home they have to be dead.

Aaron

TA2D

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Aaron, around here, they are easily caught on a small #6 or #8 hook baited with a small piece of worm or shrimp. We usually use two hooks with a small piece of lead, drop down to the bottom along channel edges (or almost anywhere with a hard bottom). They are fast, will nibble your bait if you aren't careful. When using them live, I like to remove some of the scales and trim the tail fin so they can't swim as well, and the extra struggle seems to help attract the big cats, sometimes. Good luck with your fishing.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I use a #10 circle hook and let them hook themselves. That slows em down. LOL! As far as cut bait is concerned. They work like a champ on the channels up here.

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    we got a bunch of em in my waters to but never thought of using them for bait before now. Hmmm..

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Small piece of nightcrawler I have caught a thousand of these buggers. Use a smaller hook these guys strike quick and hard and will steal you bait sometimes without you even knowing it might wanna try a small Kahle hook.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have plenty of small hooks leftover from crappie season, 4's and 8's sounds like those are small enough, any special colors of jigs or spinners that work well?

Aaron

TA2D

7. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I catch alot on nightcrawlers, they won't leave them alone when i'm catfishing, oh well more bait!

8. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Nightcrawlers work the best for me as well.:0a22:

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I use small minnows, red worms and night crawlers usually. I use white perch a lot because usually they are easily caught.

10. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    little hooks and nightcrawlers will catch dozens. i catch them and throw them directly in a bucket full of ice that way they are fresh and dead when you leave.also a good throw net will catch them easily and its quicker than fishing for them.

11. Big-Blue

Big-Blue New Member

State:
    Louisville,KY
    I've caught them on nightcrawler, and hotdogs:confused2:

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I forgot sometimes I catch them on sabiki rigs.