White Perch

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Catmansc2006, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anyone every use them for cut bait? If so how well did they do? Any help would greatly appreciated.

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    most excellant.

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I won a small tournament last year using them. Top notch bait.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    If you have ever read any of my post you would know I LOVE them for bait.

5. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    If it's small to medium and is locale in the lake IT"S BAIT !!! and most of the time does very well, because that's what the cats are normally going after.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    They are bad for bait and they eat baby catfish. You should catch all of them you can and bring them to me, allive if possible!!! I will dispose of them for you. :lol: :tounge_out: :smile2:

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Bro., you catch them and give them to WylieCat and he will dispose of them for you. WylieCat sounds like the wolf in little red riding hood! Pray tell, WylieCat, what do you do with them poor little white perch? Feed them to the poor or do you let Mr. & Mrs. Whiskers have them for brunch?

8. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I run a program to help eradicate the white perch from area waters! I have learned they are easier to "dispose of" if cut into manageable chunks.

9. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I dont know about in SC but in NJ they were always a good substitute for blueback herring when the stripers were running up the delaware to spawn I live lined them under balloons past structure and they were more hearty when on the hook than a bigger herring would be

10. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I assume a white perch is the little fish that look like a small white bass also known as Virginia Perch????

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Moreless but they are a species all they're own. They dominate SC lakes fish population outside of shad, maybe not shad in all lakes.

12. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I cut their heads off, then I cut off their gill plates to expose the red under the gills.This drives both cats & stripers crazy.

13. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Travis you are right. Virginia perch and white perch are the same. They look like a white bass.

14. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Thanks. I have been so confused by the term "white perch". I was first told that they were Virginia perch and had never heard them called anything else but it looks like "white perch" is how the majority refer to them. I catch them with a small hook and worms and then use them for bait. Excellent bait!!

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I don't know all the slang terms ofr them but I know what the books call them. I know yellow perch are called several things which confused the crap out of me to start with.

16. Al Duncan

Al Duncan New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    white perch are real good bait to fish live or cut I love to drift for cats they really work good butterflied have fun an be safe

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    I have been working on them the past few days. I got about 40 in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer now.

18. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    My brother and I will normaly spend as much time scouting for white perch as we do blues. Find the perch and the blues are not far away waiting to pick them off. We do keep our white perch in a special bait tank.(TOP SECRET) But white perch are a super bait at MARION,MOULTRIE,and PARR RESEVIOR.

19. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I spend about as much time scouting for white perch as I do for blues.Find the perch and the blues are not far away waiting to pick them off.Once during a tourny on MARION we had a 23lb blue spit up 6 white perch in my livewell. We like to take out all the kids our boat will hold to catch white perch before we fish a tournament.SUPER BAIT on MARION,MOULTRIE,and PARR RESEVIOR. Might work else where but these 3 bodies of water have a large population of white perch.

20. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Is that the same bait tank yall where useing when yall caught that 67 lb blue on the Cooper River?:lol: