White perch/Striped Bass

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by JDWILLIS39, Aug 7, 2006.

1. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    :embarassed: I didn't grow up in NC so I don't know a white perch from a striped bass. I have gotten the Wildlife pictures but I still can't tell one from the other. Is there easy way to know which is white perch and which is striped bass. There seems to be several fish that look much the same to the untrained eye. I have been putting back all this type fish for fear of having an illegal striped bass or Brodie bass.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

white perch have a single solid line stripers will have more than one. white bass (sand bass) will have multiple stripes also but they will be broken

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks Tommy that does help a lot.. The pictures on NC Wildlife looked so much alike didn't mean much to me but these pictures were different between the fish. I think I been catching white perch. I'll make me copy of the pictures and go catch some fish and teach myself the difference.

5. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    If you been fishing Badin and Tillery, you probably been catching white perch. Both lakes are full of 'em. Stripers are a long slender fish usually except in the spring when they get full of eggs. White bass look like chunky little stripers, but their lines aren't as distinct and are usually broken. A good white bass is around 3 lb. White perch have about the same body shape as white bass, but like was said only have one stripe and are viscious little creatures. They are easily caught on small bits of cutbait.. All 3 are excellent table fare. White perch are also excellent flathead baits. hope this helps!

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    They both make GREAT catfish bait, so FILLET THEM!!