White perch on LKN

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The first photo. depicts what a school of white perch looks like on the sonar screen of a L Lowrance 332. It depicts the perch in red and purple and the bait fish in yellow. A little trick you can use to follow the perch before they move is to have a rig made up, consisting a length of fishing line about 20 some feet long, attach a small hook on one end and a plactic float on the other. When you catch a 6 to 7 inch perch, attach it to the rig and let it back in the water. It will go straight to the school it came out of. That way, when they move off of your sonar coverage, you can sight where they have moved to.

Second photo. depicts a Sabiki Rig loaded up with white perch. Do not retrieve the rig when you feel the first one that gets on. Let the perch bounce the rig up and down as it fights to get off, this attracts the other perch and then you stand a better chance of getting five or six, rather than one or two. Use lite weight gear and line for best results.

Third photo. depicts the proper way to maintain control of the fish on the Sabiki Rig. Always keep the rod tip up as you take the fish off the small hooks. If you lay it down, they (small drop line and hook) will get tangled with the other hooks and you will have a mess.

Seven to nine inches or larger white perch are excellent table fare and great catfish bait (live or dead). If you can find them, they are easier to catch than bream/blue gills and a heck of a lot cheaper than gold fish, black salties or shiners.

If you are going to use them for live bait, just keep oxygen (air bubbles) on them and they will last you long enough for your fishing trip. If some die, cut them up and use them for cut bait.

2. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Great info Mac. By the way I need those water bugz behind your sonar...lol.:wink:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I still have "NIGHTMARES" about sabiki rigs. :wink: LOL!

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I should have dedicated this thread to you, but with my advanced age, I can't remember every little detail.

When you come this way to fish, do you want to help me catch the bait or do you want me to have it when I pick you up. I can go either way on this issue.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    "I can go either way on this issue."
    Now Mac, you know you can't use sentences like this w/Bg!!!!!:eek:oooh:

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Hopefully, he will consider the source, plus maybe give me a little slack due to my age.

7. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    rather eat a white perch than a crappie, they are a member of the sauger family
    lake wylie is full of them

8. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Almost all of the lakes up that way seem to have a good population of them. Wish we had them down here. Well, we do it's just at one lake that's way to far to just go catching bait but it is full of them. Matter of fact it's about the only thing you catch in any number at Lake Waccamaw.

9. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I wonder if thats where they got the nickname Waccamaw?:confused2: