white perch may not be a game fish much longer?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadhunterx, Feb 20, 2008.

1. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Does anyone know how to find out if bill H.4497 got sent to the house or was it rejected by the state committee? It is a bill proposing that white perch be removed from the states game fish list.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ronald, you can go to http://www.scstatehouse.net/ and use the link to track bills. I'm also hearing that it's a real possibility the perch will be taken off the game fish list. According to the link, it has gained approval, but is still in committee, as of yesterday.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That will be nice. My honey hole on Lake Wylie is across the line in SC, so I have to catch my thirty and then cross back over into NC to catch more.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Man that would be great...............maybe the white bass could recover somewhat.

5. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy as long as they are serious about restoring the stripers to the santee river basin this bill has a real good chance of getting passed. I would like see it go through.

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice catfish:smile2:

7. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish wyliecat:roll_eyes:

8. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish:wink:

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    White Perch SUCK.They accidentaly stocked them in one of our lakes.They took over and they are about the only thing you can catch in there.

10. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

They are here naturally. They're populations rival shad in many lake I think.

11. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    you mean those things were gamefish?? If memory serves me, here in pa their considered panfish and have no minimum size and a creel limit of 50 (combined species).

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They are not natual here.Ten years ago there wasnt any in the lake.In fact KDWP prohibits using it for live bait for that very reason.Its considered an "aquatic nuisance".I think that it affects more of striper fishing than catfishing.I dont fish the lake anymore but I know they didnt use to have them and now they dont want them.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    White perch are voracious eaters consuming the fry of about every major species. They are also prolific breeders and very tolerant of poor breeding conditions.

14. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    there's millions of them here in Lake Murray!! i'm always using them for bait. alot of guides here think they will be the next majority baitfish. White cats absolutely love them. so does all the other catfish in this lake. you can't go anywhere here on Murray and not catch them. have a great weekend everyone.

15. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    lake hartwell is getting over run with them also, its getting easier by the yr. to catch them.

16. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I never caught any until very recently. Are you sure they are here naturally?? Isn't the real name Virginia Perch??

17. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    They have been here since before they built any of the major lakes. They used to run up the river like the shad, mullet and striper do now. They are found all along the Atlantic Seaboard states. Big ones are rather tasty.

No their name is White Perch. they're in the True Bass Family along with Striped Bass, White Bass and Yellow Bass. I can remember catching coolers full back in the 80's at Greenwood.

18. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thomas, I used to take my family and fish for them from sandbars during their spring run. We'd clean and cook a bunch to eat, spend the whole day up the river. :big_smile:

19. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Somebody release some in the city of Gaffney's water supply. Lake Whelchel is the name of the lake. I've been throwing a cast net up there for at least last 15 years and two years ago I caught three. They haven't taken the lake yet but they will before to long I'm sure. DNR doesn't have any control of the lake so they haven't done any creel checks in several years now.

I hope they are removed from the game fish list soon.

20. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Perch may take over the world one day! :smile2: But they make for some good bait for catfish.:wink: