The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to find out if bill H.4497 got sent to the house or was it rejected by the state committee? It is a bill proposing that white perch be removed from the states game fish list.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Ronald, you can go to http://www.scstatehouse.net/ and use the link to track bills. I'm also hearing that it's a real possibility the perch will be taken off the game fish list. According to the link, it has gained approval, but is still in committee, as of yesterday.

H 4497 General Bill, By Loftis, Umphlett, Lowe, Mitchell, Witherspoon, Dantzler,
Duncan, Hodges and M.A. Pitts
Summary: Game fish

A BILL TO AMEND SECTION 50-1-30, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA,
1976, RELATING TO THE CLASSIFICATIONS OF BIRDS, ANIMALS, AND FISH, SO AS TO
REMOVE WHITE PERCH FROM THE LIST OF GAME FISH IN THIS STATE.
View full text
01/17/08 House Introduced and read first time HJ-4
01/17/08 House Referred to Committee on Agriculture, Natural
Resources and Environmental Affairs HJ-4
02/20/08 House Committee report: Favorable Agriculture, Natural
Resources and Environmental Affairs

Click here to go back to Multi-Search.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tommy as long as they are serious about restoring the stripers to the santee river basin this bill has a real good chance of getting passed. I would like see it go through.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
you mean those things were gamefish?? If memory serves me, here in pa their considered panfish and have no minimum size and a creel limit of 50 (combined species).

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
They are here naturally. They're populations rival shad in many lake I think.
They are not natual here.Ten years ago there wasnt any in the lake.In fact KDWP prohibits using it for live bait for that very reason.Its considered an "aquatic nuisance".I think that it affects more of striper fishing than catfishing.I dont fish the lake anymore but I know they didnt use to have them and now they dont want them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
there's millions of them here in Lake Murray!! i'm always using them for bait. alot of guides here think they will be the next majority baitfish. White cats absolutely love them. so does all the other catfish in this lake. you can't go anywhere here on Murray and not catch them. have a great weekend everyone.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
They have been here since before they built any of the major lakes. They used to run up the river like the shad, mullet and striper do now. They are found all along the Atlantic Seaboard states. Big ones are rather tasty.

No their name is White Perch. they're in the True Bass Family along with Striped Bass, White Bass and Yellow Bass. I can remember catching coolers full back in the 80's at Greenwood.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
They have been here since before they built any of the major lakes. They used to run up the river like the shad, mullet and striper do now. They are found all along the Atlantic Seaboard states. Big ones are rather tasty.

No their name is White Perch. they're in the True Bass Family along with Striped Bass, White Bass and Yellow Bass. I can remember catching coolers full back in the 80's at Greenwood.
Thomas, I used to take my family and fish for them from sandbars during their spring run. We'd clean and cook a bunch to eat, spend the whole day up the river. :big_smile:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Thomas, I used to take my family and fish for them from sandbars during their spring run. We'd clean and cook a bunch to eat, spend the whole day up the river. :big_smile:
Somebody release some in the city of Gaffney's water supply. Lake Whelchel is the name of the lake. I've been throwing a cast net up there for at least last 15 years and two years ago I caught three. They haven't taken the lake yet but they will before to long I'm sure. DNR doesn't have any control of the lake so they haven't done any creel checks in several years now.

I hope they are removed from the game fish list soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts