White perch in Kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by trytofish, May 19, 2006.

1. trytofish

trytofish New Member

State:
    kansas
    caught 2 white perch today at El Dorado lake. I have never seen or heard of one. 1 was 3/4 to 1#, the other was close to 2#.We realeased them when we was pulling out( to lazy ro clean them). Looked up the species when i got back home, found out that they are a real problem in lakes because they eat eggs of walleye and bass and will crossbread with white bass. they say you are to eat them,destroy them, or freeze them and call the wildlife management in Emporia if caught in any Kansas lake besides Marion or Cheney.Has anyone heard of these fish causing a problem anywhere?

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey, you threw away great catfish bait. I try to get white perch whenever I can cause the catfish love them!!!

3. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Many lakes have them. Even the county lakes. they are good to eat and decent fighters. Cut em up for bait or cooking, you wont be dissappointed.

4. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    I just looked at the KDWP website. They don't show El Dorado having White Perch there. They may have a new nuisance species problem there along with the Zebra Mussels.

You might want to give KDWP a head's up.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    a few years ago i got stopped by a game warden at the dragoon boat ramp and he was wanting to know what kind of bait i was using.he was making sure that i was not using white perch because they are such a nuisence fish.he said it was against the law to catch white perch and take them to another body of water to use for bait.he said the fine was 75$ per white perch in your possesion.that was the first time i had ever heard of them and after talking to others about them i guess they are a damn good catfish bait!so be careful if and when using them for bait.it probably would not hurt to use them for cutbait just as long as you dont use them live.

6. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Hey people I guess I am dumb but I did not know there were any white perch anywhere in Kansas, I have caught them in Georgia. They are a good eating fish. Also thanks for the info. Glad to Know that if I do happen to catch one not to take it to another lake & use it for bait. I am glad I`m a member of the BOC, you young people are teaching this old man a lot Thanks.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

Description and Size: The White Perch is a wide array of colors which can range from olive, grey-green, silvery-grey, dark brown, or to black on the back, becoming a lighter green on the sides and silvery-white on the belly. They are very similiar to the appearance of White Bass but can be distinguished by the fact that they have NO teeth on their tongue!

Habitat in Kansas: The White Perch tend to frequent areas with level bottoms of compact silt, mud, sand or clay and show little preference for vegetation, structures or other shelter.
    Food: Aquatic insects, small crustaceans, and small fishes
    Reproduction: Little is known of the mating habits at this time about the mating habits of the White Perch in Kansas.
    General: The White Perch is thought to have been introduced to Kansas by mistake while mixed with a stocking of Striped Bass from Virginia. They were released in Cheney Reservoir as well as Wilson Reservoir and the K.D.W.P. biologists are concerned of their potentially harmful effects on the ecosystems in those particular areas. All anglers are asked to remove any and all White Perch that they may catch in hopes of irradicating them from their current habitat

8. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's the first I've heard of any white perch in El Dorado, especially that big. I read a newspaper article today that said the KDWP is considering making it illegal to have live ones in our possession. I've had a lot of success using them in Santee Cooper on flatheads and bluecats. I'm not sure white perch would pose much of a threat to Black Perch (green sunfish) They seem to favor a bit different habitats. Black perch like to live in the rocks close to shore and the white perch (at least the ones I've caught at Santee) are usually in open water anywhere from four to 12' deep. I don't know if that holds true of the Kansas whites or not since I've not caught any. I do know that if they start showing up in El Dorado I'll be happy to put them on my trotlines as long as Big Brother will let me.

9. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Lemme get this straight: KDWP screws up by allowing this nuisance fish into several lakes and now wants to punish fishermen who catch them?:crazy:

And I've been flamed here for my contempt of KDWP.

10. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I guess you should aim your contempt at the Virgina F&G, looks like they couldn't tell the difference between the two fish. Maybe Kansas got the fish by the millions as sac fry or fry, impossible to sort them all out(think of that). We now have our own brood stock so we don't have to rely on other F&G's word that the shipment is "clean".

3 cases in 20 years and you still want to bitch about them, petty!!! How many of those guy's are still employed by the State?

Your cop buddy and the Vet got exactly what the warden was supposed to give them, a citation for not having the proper permit for harvesting a deer..........period, he did his job!! It's the DA's job to decide if they will prosecute, not the wardens. It's also not the wardens or the vendors job to make sure the proper name is on the license, it the purchasers...........and it was a cop, wonder how many people have gotten off because he didn't dot his i's and cross his t's:embarassed: .

Did you know for a fact that nothing happened to the Orientals after they left for home?? Did they get checked at home for things like possession limits?? You saw what you saw, but your not a game warden so you have no clue what was going through his head. Your examples are moot points...........your not a trained professional game warden.

I was willing to just agree to disagree, but you had to take a cheap shot. By the way, nut up and tell them how much and why you disrespect them all next time you get checked..........instead of being courteous and polite.

How are they punishing fisherman? Sorta like the same way their punishing boaters about Zebra mussels. Great logic..........help us stop the spread=punishment.

By the way, I'm still trying to be friendly.

11. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    This kind of thing is bound to happen.
    It is constantly happening all over the world, and has been from the beginning of time.
    Super major climate, enviromental and biological dramatic changes have happened to every single square inch of our planet. Not just once, but over and over and over again.
    We can try and have some temporary success in keeping eco systems intact, but the way this earth was made, it will certainly not remain the same.
    More than half of the wildlife here in Kansas is quite differant than it was 100 years ago. Heck, there were not even hardly and trees here. Most of the trees that are here are not from this region, same with the rest of the plants and insects as well.
    We should continue to be careful what we are doing, but the fact is, a bird can start a fish population in a body of water that has none.
    Tornadoes have picked up fish and displaced them to other bodys of water.

As for the people that we hire to monitor and keep the law....
    There is always a few bad ones, but there are millions of great ones.

12. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    The ultimate responsibility for this nuisance lays solely on KDWP.

There's a big difference in Bubba dumping his bilge from his Walleye trip on Erie last week into El Dorado and KDWP stocking the nuisance species inadvertently. Bubba, if caught, pays big time. KDWP, when caught, makes us pay. You and I both are going to have to pay for their screwup either in increased license fees or our tax dollars. KDWP making it illegal to possess a live fish that they stocked is ridiculous!

However, I'll concede the point if you can find me a recipe to cook Zebra Mussells, as I've eaten white perch.

There are plenty of KDWP screwups:How about the millions in federal dollars KDWP lost a few years back due to repairs on several parks that weren't made after the 1993 floods? It isn't all in their enforcement branch. The automated licensing seems to be the best thing they've done in awhile.

You pretty much proved my point over on the spillways thread. Most game wardens are more interested in dotted I's and crossed t's than doing real Game enforcement work. That would be like KHP giving a ticket to someone whose proof of insurance card has a misspelled name. A check of the DL, tag registration and comparison to the VIN will quickly clears it all up without a ticket and KHP toopers are psycho about writing tickets. Been there, done that as everyone wants to spell Jonathan with an "H".

Your thinking seems to be that the misspelled word should be ticketed but the poachers in front of you gets a pass if the GW gets a "no habla" from the offender. Try doing the "no habla" bit to any other LEO and see where it gets you. I really hope this isn't your idea of professional law enforcement.

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Since a few see all the shortcomings about KWPD, I am wondering what those few people are willing to do to change it.
    If you see real problems that need to be addressed, and your sure that they are not or will not be addressed, seems to me you have an obligation to do something about it.
    Perhaps a little public service would do some good.
    How about putting your time treasure and talent into since you seem to beleive so strongly that things are dreadfully wrong?

Just wondering if complainers are willing to do something about it or if they just like to complain.

14. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Post says a lot Jon, thanks:roll_eyes: .

15. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Charlie, you're awfully fiesty!

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

we got white perch around here(lawrence area)i have never seen one,you guys make me laugh,thanks!!!i know some of the wardens around here too,and trust me if they cacth ya breaking game laws it wont matter what i's got crossed you are still screwed, i have seen them right tickets for huge fines,take peoples poles and boats, i never got the impression they where messing around,speaking of the no understand english thing,last year i was fishing down from the clinton spillway and a van load of mexicans showed up and was wadeing out in the water netting flatheads right in front of me,i said somethign to them but i got pretty much screw u in spanish,so i went and got the tag number and got ahold of a gamewarden they were to happy to go down there and bust them, i wacthed this take palce from up above,they turned the fish loose and the warden sat there and wrote tickets to them all haveing them had him there drivers lic.as i wacthed one of them looked up and saw me so i fliped him off and waved to the game warden and was on my way,i wouldnt sell them to short,i think they do as good as they can i know they are under staffed and could use some help maybe you guys can go be wardens and help out?cause you know what they say if you aint going to help you cant complain

17. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hey osagecountycatman, sometime on KDWP they dont post the fish that arent doing any good, cause sometimes i will look at the tuttle creek report and they will only have blues and channels and no flatheads. but also i didnt know there was any white perch in kansas, i would like to get my hands on some and use them as bait for the fat kitties.:lol:

18. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I guess I need to start paying closer attention to some of the posts because I missed out on what appears to be a major part of this discussion. I'll have to send you a PM Charlie and you can get me lined out. As I recall, the article I read said the KDWP was only meeting to discuss possible options about the white perch, not pass legislation. Its water under the bridge how they got here. Just like the zebra mussles, white perch are probably going to be a part of our Kansas ecosystem in the future. It will probably be bad news for some species (the biologists know what they are talking about) but they may be a boon for others. They make good bait and good tablefare. I remember a few years ago local fishermen were really upset because someone had turned white bass loose in El Dorado. Now they are one of the most common fish in the lake and I don't think they have really hurt anything. We still have excellent catfishing and probably the best walleye fishing in the state. We also have wipers now, thanks to a stocking program. Now, if I can just convince them to stock about a million more bluecats I'll be a happy camper.

19. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    center12 seems to take any criticism of KDWP as a personal insult to game wardens, some of which he says are his friends. I personally don't hold either them or KDWP as an agency in high regard and he seems to be displeased with this.

Oh, Well...

20. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Nah, just your irrational sterotyping based on 3 events that didn't go the way you thought they should. I don't agree with everything the KDW&P's has done(Hayden should be run out of State), but I'm not going to make some illogical statement about everyone in the organization based on the actions of a few. I tend to look at the actions of the individual and not sterotype the group because of one person..........sorta like you and the BOC.