White Oak Lake, Arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by whisker maniac, May 31, 2009.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    This weekend my wife and I went to White Oak lake and camped at the State Park with her parents. We had a real nice relaxing time except for fighting with the boat. lol

We got there Friday evening and got camp set up and then proceeded to launch the boat to go set out a trotline. The boat wouldn't start and the wires started smoking. We finally just used the trolling motor and bream fished that evening for a while. My father in law got his boat out and he and I took one of my trotlines and put it out.

Saturday morning we started working on the boat and had to go to Camden to get some supplies to repair it with.. Then we found that we had two shorts in the wiring... one in the ignition key area and one in the motor area... It got so hot that it melted a vacuum hose in half. So...... we made a second trip to Camden to get more supplies.

We finally got the boat running somewhat... but it's not running right, but ran good enough that I could use it to run my trotline.

Saturday evening we ran the trotline. We didn't get very far on the line and found that it was hung up really bad. We dropped it back in the water and went to the other end and started running it. We found that we had four Channel Cats on the line. Two of em were pretty small but the other two were good eating size.. probably around three lbs a piece.

We ran the line this morning and took it up and only had on cat on it but due to the line being hung up I think that it jerked most of the bait off the hook when I released it.

I was able today to get the line unhung with my paddle today while I was taking it up. So thankfully I didn't lose it.

The cats aren't really big on this lake and they're not super eager to bite but if ya would like a nice cozy area to go and camp this is a nice place to do it.

We had fun with the squirrels there too. They came right into camp and we fed them peanuts. They wouldn't eat out of your hand but they did come up really close.

Haven't downloaded the pics from the camera yet but I will get them downloaded later and add them to this thread.

2. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Other than your boat problems, sounds like a good time.

3. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Here are some pics of the place...

Attached Files:

4. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    a few more...

Attached Files:

5. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    and some more....

Attached Files:

6. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    and once more....

Attached Files:

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey Kevin how was the bream fishing any size to them

8. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Expecially the ones with the furbabies in it. Don't ya love the calm of it all when the sun is shining the critters are around and the peace that is no doubt included? I sure do. Love that bridge. Looks like it could be a great little brim surgar hole! :wink:
    You know Kevin I have faught the rain wind storms and nasty knats to pull in a catfish but if all esle fails I can always get out my trustly play pole and catch the hungries of the day. It looks real pretty out there and clean too. Might just one day have to conme up there and check things out. When of course the busy season slows a bit. Glead you had a great weekend.

9. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Most of the bream that were biting were just small ones too Ed. But we did catch one every now and then that was a keeper. We fished for em with ultra lites so that helped to make it more fun. We used crickets on em... may have been a little early for crickets to be good on the big ones. Would of been good tho if the boat was running I would have taken them small ones I was a catching and fished with them in the deeper waters.

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Looks really nice Kevin, I bet it was peaceful. We had a bushy tail come up in camp at dardenell and ate donuts..... I kid you not. I like to perch fish while waitin on a cat bite, always have the "bait" pole.:smile2:

11. sfleming

sfleming New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Nice pics Kevin. I have camped there but it was a while back. My Deer camp is located just on the other side of Poison Springs so I am very familure with the area. Looks like a good trip (other then boat problem).

12. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    keven looks like you and your family had a real good time - sorry about the boat - now on the catfish i have only fished the lower end or is that the upper end - the lake without the park :smile2: and i have seen and herd of some really good catfish comeing out of there, but i was croppie fishing at the time , may be ill have to go again sometime