White Garcia-Mitchell 600 series big reels

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by Hannibal Mike, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I like the old mitchell 600, 602, 622 baitcast reels (no levelwind) with white sideplates. These reels have wonderful bearings, but the sideplates on the crank side seem to always have cracks that allow oil stain/leakage. This does not stop the reel from working, but I would like to clean and repair the cracks on mine. I have been told simple green is a good solvent, but I am wondering how to get glue/epoxy into the cracks for repair and whether to try to put a bushing in the sideplate to eliminate future cracks. Any ideas? Hannibal Mike

2. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Does anyone know of a system that would vibrate and suck glue like they do when repairing windshields? I'ld really like to fix these garcia sideplates (old reels, but big and strong). Hannibal Mike

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just my ideas but i'd take the sideplates off and repair with something like J B Weld or 5 min. epoxy

4. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    The cracks don't hurt the operation of the reel, they just bother me. I wanted to use a thin glue of some time to suck down into the cracks after cleaning out the oil seapage. Thanks NM.

5. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw