White Deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Pennsylvaniacatchaser, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    While driving home from the grocery store the other night the wife and I saw a all white doe cross the road in front of us. We stopped and watched it in the field for a few minutes. Sadly I didn't have a camera with me.:sad2: I was wondering what you all would do if you were hunting and had the chance to shoot this deer. I've been debating this in my head for a couple days now because the area we saw the deer is close to one of my hunting spots and archery season is only a month away. Part of me says let it go cause it is so rare but on the other hand that would be a special once in a lifetime trophy. What would you do?

2. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    According to indian lore any white animal was sacred and that killing of an white(albino)animal the hunter would not kill again.Myself I would probably shoot it and take my chances unless it was a small buck.

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I would let it walk. I have seen white squirrles, coons, skunks, deer. And all of them is VERY RARE, so i would rather be able to go out into the woods at about 6pm ever night and watch the squirrle play with the other squirrles and the deer run in the medows. Just my opinion. But like u said man, u dont see them every day.

4. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Some placed albino deer are protected, but not in Arkansas.

I would draw, aim and release.

Robert

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I would shoot it. First it is a trophy of a lifetime, and second the presence of an albino is a sign of a to much breed within that specific herd. The herd needs to be thinned down so the genetics can be spread out.

6. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    we have them here at lake sangchris state park in Illinois the law here is if it is completely white its illegal to shoot but if theres one spot of brown on it it's fair game
    there was a nice buck out here my buddy went out with his wife dropped her off at her stand on his way to his stand saw the game warden stopped and asked him if the white buck that had been running around was legal to kill and the warden says yep its legal but you wont be liked very much around here if you get him I guess allot of people had seen it around well that day he got a doe when he went to get his wife guess what she had stuck the white buck
    my ol lady has seen the white deer out here on several occasions but I have yet to see one I know there here something in the bloodline
    my uncle who is a very avid and informed hunter explains to me that this is not a good thing these white deer he says it makes for a week bloodline or something

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I have heard it is bad luck to shoot a white deer, lord knows I don't need any bad luck:lol: . This deer was completely white with no brown spots that I could see. I got a whole month to ponder what to do come archery season if this deer presents itself.

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I wouldn't should it. It's not legal here, which is kind of funny because its a genetic abnormality.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I say if its not a true albino (has to have pink eyes to be albino) then shoot it & make a rug out of it. Being a PA hunter myself, hunting public land its generally if you dont someone else will. and will that other person respect that animals life as well as you would? If its mostly private land there then maybe I'd let it walk hoping it has sanctuary. maybe

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    What ever you decide, it would be a trophy to me. It's hard to say what anyone would do unless you are the one pulling the trigger.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have seen one albino buck, in Texas. I had the chance to shoot it and didn't and now I am glad I didn't. The local warden came by the camp to visit and I asked him about it he said he thought I needed an exotic stamp to harvest it but he would have to check the books. I never did get a confirmation from him though.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Have only seen one in my life time (about 14 yrs old)long time ago. Thers suppose to be a big buck out here where I live according to the neighbor,but I have never seen it myself. Far as shooting it I don't really now what I'd do till the time came. A person can say they'll do this and that but till it really happens you don't really know what you'd do. just my thoughts.

13. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    I'de let her walk! With her being all white, im sure others have seen her and aparently let her go about her business. You just dont get to see that very much. Im a true to the heart conservationist and would love to see an all white deer in the wild someday. Good luck this year bro!

14. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    I dont think I would shoot it, be a hard choice really.