White crappie being certified

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Mac-b, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    James Brown of Charlotte, NC caught himself a nice white crappie in a private lake recently. It weighed 3 pounds, 4 ounces on certified scales and measured 18.5"in length. It had six dorsal spines and the paper work has been presented to the state for certification. Story can be found in the Charlotte Observer/Sports, dated March 13, 2008 by Tom Higgins.

2. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Is that the State Record down there?:confused2:

3. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Rob, it will be for the white crappie when it is certified. I beleive the black crappie is much larger.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    wow i didnt think they got that big

5. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I saw the article and photo in the paper. It is a big ole crappie. A record that won't be broken soon, I don't believe.
    They just recently separated the two, black and white crappie, records here in NC.
    I was hoping it was gonna be ME that at least sat in that "record" spot for a little while. LOL:big_smile:

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Last year while on a guide trip I caught a nice white crappie on a Road Runner while striper fishing and did not know that the state had set up a new section for the white crappie and I made catfish bait out of it. See attached photo.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    They sure do! The IGFA World Record for Black Crappie stands at 4lbs. 8oz. It was caught at Kerr Lake in Virginia. Are state record in Nebraska for Black Crappie is 4lbs. 8oz. also, but is not recognized by the IGFA. Just a tie for weight. There was a 4lb. 14 oz. crappie caught in Kentucky, but was considered a hybrid between the white and black crappie. So the IGFA does not recognize this fish. The monster of a slab was caught by a lady. Chalk one up for the gals!!

8. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Wow, you used that for bait? You must really love catfish