White crank baits

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by slabmaster, Feb 22, 2006.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    in oklahoma during certin times of the year there are thousands of water turkeys" commerants" on the lakes and rivers. there only diet is fish. find a spot where they are roosting over the water and throw a white crank bait under there roosts. fish crank bait slow on top just barely drifting it along and hold on to your rod. Can you say top water catfish?

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    A white crank bait is my first choice.Never caught a catfish on it, but bass and crappie seem to love it. Fished slow, just under the surface. A short fat body works best for me.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    In-Fisherman had an article diggetydog years ago about it.They used a white 3 inch grub,unweighted.The water turkeys have not been around here heavy this year.Never tried it,but always remembered that article.

4. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I never caught a catfish on one, but the waters around here are all stained at best. White is the primary color for all artificial baits fished here locally.

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    I have a friend that has caught cats while b@$$ fishing on crank baits and spinner baits. He says it happens pretty regular.

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    to tell you guys the truth just about any bait fished under a water turkey roost will catch catfish. the fish stack up under these roosts. i bet a lot of tournament guys know all about it.

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Yep, the pros know about. Just watched the Danny King & Larry Spillers video and they're fishing right next to a cormorant roost and doing good.
    Cook, if I remember right that article was about "matching the hatch" and the author said that is 1 hatch that he won't match. lol
    Will

8. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Your friend is right! I have caught a number of cats while chunking lures for bass. My personal best on lure (top water Devil's Horse) was a 14# channel. Scared the cr@p out of me for a minute as I thought I had just caught a record bass:frk-big: ! Was just as happy with the cat though & better eating.

Frank

9. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    There is an article on fishing under commerant's roosts in this months Catfish Now magazine.

10. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was fishing a shoal at a small river and caught a channel cat on a white rooster tail while fishing for the white bass that runs up there in the spring. Somtimes you never know what you will hook into when throwing artificials out there.