White closed cell foam

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by DarrellC, Jan 8, 2008.

1. DarrellC

DarrellC New Member

State:
    Texas
    hey guys I need some help. I want to make some jug lines, but I am having trouble finding white closed cell foam. I can find it in plenty of other colors except white. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A friend bought the colored ones and painted them white and that did not turn out to well. DarrellC

2. martomhan

martomhan New Member

State:
    Texas
    We made some out of the swimming pool (foam) noodles. We cut in 7 or 8 inches . After we attached the line, we covered the noodles in white duck tape.

3. jrbb00

jrbb00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    In the spring Wal-Mart normaly has white foam pre maid for juglines. I normaly buy them and then cut them in half and build my own. I believe I gave $1.25 each. Not bad but something to look into.
    Good Luck.

4. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Welcome to the BOC Darrell,
    I looked into something like that a couple of years ago and found out that you can order white 'noodles' from the maker, I thought they were a little more pricy bc of shipping but you can make at least 5 out of each one. I don't remember the makers name but I guess next time you shop you can look at the brand name on them otherwise you can get 'dumb bell' looking ones from wal-mart.

Ruben

5. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Darrel:

I am a Sponsor here on the BOC (Wild Wolf Products) and I make Bobbers and Jugs, and Jug Kits. I have been for two years been trying to buy Pool Noodles in the color I want and have found out from talking to ALL of the Manufacturers and importers that it is impossible unless one will buy a Truck Load Lot of them. I Now buy all of my Noodles that I use to make my Products wholesale from JAKKS, the company that Walmart buys from. I on occasion will get one white one in a case lot but it is very Rare. If You are someone comes up with a source, for Gods Sake let me know. But I think it's best in your Case to build your jugs using whatever color you can get and wrap the Jugs with White Duct Tape. They will work absolutely Fine and you will Make the TX Fish and Game Happy.

My Two Cents.

Gene

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i made some from 1/2" pvc and the "dumbbell" looking ones from wal mart w/ a 3/8 pice of rebar & so far they work fine!!!! I just drilled holes in the foam, they work!!!

7. DarrellC

DarrellC New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the help guys. believe i will use white electrical tape. Sounds the easiest.

8. DarrellC

DarrellC New Member

State:
    Texas
    WILLCAT, Is it hard to get the hole straight when you drill it? Seems like it would grab and spin the noodle.

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    it's a little tricky, some came out off centered but still worked real well when we set them out. I was using the styrofoam looking "footballs" like they put on the top of nets to help them float, or just like the ones on the cheap stringers at wally world-that's what i drilled out thru the middle w/ 1/2" drill bit so it fit tight on the pvc=hope that helps

10. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I use backer rods that I bought in Austin. They come in different diameters and in white. They are not expensive and work great. Catfishjon

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you just got to have white look in the back of sports afield or outdoor life mags.and you will find the classified ads.you will find an ad by netcraft company.order their catalog they sell all kinds or net making materials in cluding large floats.some of these are plastic but i beleive they have styrofoam to.

12. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Tried an experiment this morning, took pipe insulation, it's gray, sprayed it with the paint for plastic, seems like it stuck good. Then took wire ties and secured it to the PVC pipe. It comes in 1/2", 3/4", and 1" sizes. May put reflective tape around one end to make it easier to see.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I think i'm gonna try & get some from mean gene @ wild wolf products.....they look good!!!

14. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi all.

I'm new here.

Do any of you know WHY our jugs in Texas must be white in color?

I ordered some neat looking plastic jugs from an e-bay source.

Paid too much, but it sure makes it easy.

Thanks

CatfishBevo

15. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Has anyone tried the ones from academy, they're about 7-8" long and look like a tapered plastic jar. Someone gave me three of them but have never used them.

Rubes

16. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Darell i made some from the swimming noodles at wally world,i cut them about 18" long took 3/4 pvc pipe (that goes through em with some muscle) glued a cap on one end ,on the other end i used a stainless steel eye hook to tie off the line too,left about a inch out of the top for (the pvc with cap) to put reflective tape around and on the bottom (where the eye hook is) let it come out about 8" then filled it spray foam (the pvc)then glued on the end cap on aint had one pull it under for long,,plus you can use a milk crate to haul em around instead of em rollin around the bottom of ya boat...They work great..had fun makin em too..

17. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    DarrelC, S.S.I. in Houston Tx has all the white foam anyone needs, they have the 2 1/2 " and the 3". The 2 1/2" is .54 cents a foot and is sold in 6' stick for $3.24 plus tax, no center hole, you'll have to drill your own, the 3" foam is .81 cents a ft or $4.86 for a 6'stick. You can call them at 713-862-3900 or go by at 2211 Sabine St. Price may have changed with everything going up so fast. I made a jig and used a wood boring bit to drill the hole. The people at SSI are very friendly and helpful. If you tell them what you are making they will know exactly what you are looking for. Good luck
    Joseph

18. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    SSI Concrete Supply has a store at 4213 Todd Lane in Austin. 512-326-1156
    We have been using both the 2 1/2" and 3" Backer rods. I drill a hole with a wood type paddle bit and glue in a short section of wooden dowell with a small eye to tie the line to.

19. texasrecurve

texasrecurve New Member

State:
    texas
    I use the colored noodles at WM and just wrap them with white duct tape.

TR

20. jrbb00

jrbb00 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Check out Fish-a-noodle.com they sell the white closed cell foam. I posted this on the other closed cell foam noodle thread also.
    Good luck.