white catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by katkiller77, Dec 28, 2007.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    any white catfish in ohio just curious look like very good sport fish?

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I've never seen one. The state of Ohio does not recognize it as a game or rough fish. We have Channels, Blues (just recently), Flathead and Bullhead.
    Welcome to the BOC!

3. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    shawn just curious it would be nice add for ohio lake erie might have some food for thought

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    caught one once in the GMR at the old WC dam, i am sure it was a "transplant" from a nearby pay-lake. they used to stock them a long time ago by the truckloads. their "pay-pond" name was "marblehead" cats.

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    thanks just curious about this i have seen them in rainbow when i was a kid but it would make a nice add for the ohio fisheries. white catfish look like a nice fish and maybe good eating

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    White Catfish have many years ago been introduced into some Ohio waters ... by who .... the study doesn't say.

Nonindigenous Occurrences:

Lake Erie, Sandusky Bay, the mouth of the Portage River, Sippo Lake east of Canton, Springdale Lake near Cincinnati, the Blanchard system, the Muskingum drainage, and the Ohio River in Ohio (Trautman 1981; Emery 1985; Hocutt et al. 1986);

Although I don't think they are very common in Ohio and may be even be recognized by the novice fisherman as a color phase of some other speices.

I have caught them in Florida, but they were always on the small side of 1/2 to 1 pound.

Attached Files:

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    hmmm...I have never even heard of a white catfish, closest thing I have ever seen is an albino.

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If I catch one near 1 pound it will be bait.

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No doubt about that!

10. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I've heard of a few caught in the Ohio river by PA anglers. I just found this.

White Catfish
    Ameiurus catus
    Species overview: Although the white catfish has been stocked in waters where it was not native, its original home was Atlantic Coast watersheds from the lower Hudson River in New York, south to Florida and on to Mississippi. In Pennsylvania the white catfish’s range has included the Susquehanna and Delaware River systems, and it has been introduced into parts of the Ohio River watershed. Its genus name “Ameiurus” means “unforked caudal fins,” and its species name “catus” means “cat.”