Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay was talking to a friend last night and he was telling me about a catfish I had never heard of. He said he caught them on the wabash all the time. Said they could get up to 100 pounds but said the biggest one he caught was 30-40 pounds. He said it was a white catfish and it had a hump on it's back. Said it stayed in the swifter waters... Said he had caught them right out in front of our cabin. I've been fishing there for 8 years now and never caught or seen one. Let alone heard of one... Anyone have an idea what he was talking about. He know's his fish and he wasn't pulling my leg either... Is it something that's not really a catfish???
BB

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Aaron if you have fished there 8 yrs. I would bet you have caught white
cats too. Most white cats are not white but blue/gray. Most people think
they are channels. The best way to tell a white from a channel is to
count the rays on the anal fin. I think a white has 19 to 23 rays but
I am not positive. You can look it up google catfish ID. I doubt a
white would ever weigh 100 lbs. The ones I have delt with run
very close to what a channel would weigh.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
a few years ago i caught a albino cat up at the railroad tressels north of 40 bridge but it was only maybe a 1/2 lb i didnt even know it was hooked til i reeled in to check my bait.

·
Registered
James N ... Central California.
10,295 Posts
not a white cat they don't get but about 5 lbs avg world record is like 22 lbs. He may have had a white blue cat at 30 lbs. remember white catfish are not white in color almost a black with a off white belly without looking at the tail and anal fin most will think its a channel cat

here is a link to help out White Catfish Fish Identification
True a few years ago some teenage kid's up were my son lives caught a Cali record white cat it went i belive in the 20# range .

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lookie at my pic on my pro :)
Okay not a bad pick but I just thought that was a blue!
:)

Guess I need to see or find a pic of both a blue and a white and compair them. Guess I'm just not seeing it.... That fish in your pic does look white or a lot whiter than a blue. Guess I just need to compair the fins and stuff to get strait... LOL...
Thanks for the reply's everyone.
BB

·
Registered
468 Posts
Okay not a bad pick but I just thought that was a blue!
:)

Guess I need to see or find a pic of both a blue and a white and compair them. Guess I'm just not seeing it.... That fish in your pic does look white or a lot whiter than a blue. Guess I just need to compair the fins and stuff to get strait... LOL...
Thanks for the reply's everyone.
BB

I know it's a blue cat :(
But someone said that some blues get white, or whatever, which is in my pic.

·
Banned
1,236 Posts
Yes Blue do get all white to all black. Just last year a local tackle shop here said they had a 25lb white cat and it was a blue. The name white cat is where the mix up comes in most think because they are call white cats they should be white and they almost black white a white belly . here is a 11 lb white cat

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know it's a blue cat :(
But someone said that some blues get white, or whatever, which is in my pic.
Oh it's alright. I thought it looked like a blue but then I wasn't sure if that was the pic you were talking about. So I looked at yoru other pictures and since I saw you shoot guns I wasn't going to correct you.. :)

I guess I'm going to have to start counting the fins or something and see if I do catch one. Then I'll post a pic of it..

That one in your pic is very white...

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,666 Posts
I once caught a blue cat that was black....

Took it to the doctors and he said, "Just keep it comfortable and it will be.......................

... Allwhite tomorrow":laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

...W

·
Registered
468 Posts
Oh it's alright. I thought it looked like a blue but then I wasn't sure if that was the pic you were talking about. So I looked at yoru other pictures and since I saw you shoot guns I wasn't going to correct you.. :)

I guess I'm going to have to start counting the fins or something and see if I do catch one. Then I'll post a pic of it..

That one in your pic is very white...

lmao it's okay ;) correct all you want lol
but that's a nice pic you posted Tim.. they're sure not what I thought they'd look like

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea I agree with the being able to tell them even in murky water. But most the blues we catch are bigger than 5 pounds so don't think I have got them mixed up. In fact I don't know if I've ever caught a blue that was smaller than 5 pounds.. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.