White blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by kat in the hat, Oct 12, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wondering, does cold water make the blues turn white, or is it genetic (some are just whiter than others), or is it their surroundings. I know all cats change colors to a degree. Like when spawning and such. The bullhead in my aquarium seems to be a different shade all the time for no apparent reason.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    It's just genetics. Some are darker than others, some nearly white.

A lot of folks around here call them "white cats" but they're just pale blue cats -- a true "white cat" is a rare species in most waters and doesn't get over 5-10 lbs or so.

3. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Here's a picture of an albino blue cat me and my buddies caught in the Potomac last week. The eyes are actually pink, but the picture doesn't illustrate it too well.

4. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
  5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here is a 40.7 Pound Albino Blue Catfish. I caught this fish in the Ohio River, here in Kentucky.

To answer your question about cold water, it does turn them kind of white but they will always have some blue in them, during the months of Jan/ Feb alot of them are on the pale color side.

Attached Files:

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't see them as much now days but 25 years ago we would catch many white cats on the cumberland. Never a big one just lots of them.

7. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I've seen several over in the MS river. Don't see many in local water though!

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    D/H where is that pink fish you caught?
    Pete

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    My buddy caught a blue cat that was white with black spots, looked like a cow. It was small (only about 5 pounds) but was really cool looking.

10. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    SkiMax do you have a picture of that thing? It would make a fantastic screen saver.:smile2:

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    One of my fishin buddies calls them white fultons. I guess that's what most people called them around here until about 10 years ago. I haven't caught a white one yet, but I've never fished when the water is very cold either. Hopefully I'll get a shot at one this weekend. I plan to drift some holes on the Mo. river. Got a new camera too, so if I have some luck I can prove it.