White Bass

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by wayne1967, Apr 5, 2008.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just did a search for White Bass (people call the stripers around here) and didn't find much. Man, these are really fun to catch when they are running in the spring. The water is still cool around here but is anyone catching any yet?

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know on Kentucky Lake you can see some people catch some nice stripers

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Early spring is one of the best times to catch them around here.Fish with white or lime green curly tail jigs for the smaller to med size bass.

For the big ones small threadfin shad work very well.I have seen numerous 10 lb fish and some in the mid teens come out of the same hole year after year caught on shad.

4. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Around here in the rivers they will run up a smaller body of water emptying into them in the spring. If there is a rock pile or some type up blockage you can catch alot of them.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    They are hitting pretty good over here on Carlyle up in the riprap, not bad on the grill either :wink:

6. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    are they true striper,white bass, or hybrids

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i got tired of looking at stripers last week, they really get in the way of my catfishing! we call the whites sand bass here, they are fun to catch. i have a lake just south of me that is loaded with hybrids, i think they fight way harder than the stripes or the whites. eat good too.

8. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    yeah the hybrids fight great, but dont get near as big, records in the lake i fish mostly, 60# striper,20# hybrid also the lakes polluted with pcbs so we dont eatem

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    No, they are true white bass around here. We don't have strippers but everyone calls them that anyway. I've got a cousin who does really good fishing behind islands on the river where there is a rock dike all the way acrossed it. He uses a heavy spinner like a Little George and drops it were the water is pouring over. I've always heard fishing for them while they are running in the spring but he tears them up like this in the summer. They must just school and hold in places like that.

10. ittybittykitty

ittybittykitty New Member

State:
    Belleville Michigan
    I've heard that the secret for spring white bass is 60degree water. The males (smaller, more numerous) show up in the spawning area when the water hits the upper 50's, and the females show up when the water hits 60. The rest of the year you can find them if you can find the fish they are eating. Summer schools move continuously. If you see sea gulls swarming, that is a good place to try. Fish for them with ultralight tackle, it's a blast.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a couple of tips we used on whites back when I was growing up. Take a good sized topwater plug and attach a 6" piece of light piano wire to its rear; then attach a 4" piece of stiff, heavy mono; finally, attach an all-white fly-rod type popping bug to the mono. The wire and stiff mono keep things from getting tangled up so much, and the plug gives you enough weight so that it can be easily cast for long distances. The whites will hit the popping bug 999 times out of a thousand.
    To keep track of the moving schools of white bass during the summer, tie a long piece of mono onto a balloon and attach it to a white bass; let the bass go, and it will stay with its school, dragging the balloon along, providing you with a marker.

12. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    its probally a striper. i dont think a whitebass gets up to 10 lbs. if it does its got to be a record somewhere. biggest one ive seen was about 4 lbs here.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    That balloon technique sounds like a really good idea. I have never heard of that before. Around here most of the fisherman at the lake I fish use 2 doll-flies together or when their chasing shad I will use a kast-master. Usually a 3/8 oz to 3/4 oz. Silver.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Those are great for getting the whites that are deep, but when they're busting shad on the surface, nothing beats topwater for excitement.

15. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    how big of a topwater bait would be good for white bass? i was thinking a smaller bass plug... or would a normal bass sized one be ok?

16. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's a good idea with the balloon. I tell you, when they are running they will hit just about anything. I caught a tiny one once with a Mepps spinner and I swear if I would of had to stick the treble hook in his mouth I could not have done it. He had all three hooks in his lipps with hjs mouth wedged open.

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I like using a torpedo that is about 1 1/2 in - 2 in long. However, I have caught them on a topwater lure that was 6 in long as well. They hit it just as well as the smaller ones when they are busting the surface.

A trick I like to do is tie on my torpedo to the end of the line, come up about a foot, tie a small dropper loop of about 2 in and put on a white jig. Come up about a foot from that jig, and tie another one, either white, yello, or pink. WARNING - DO NOT try this without a good grip on your rod. Many times I have pulled in 3 per cast.

18. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    that is a nice hybrids bambu good job:wink:

19. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc good tips in boc lib:smile2:

20. mariofish

mariofish New Member