White Bass

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TA2D, Oct 12, 2005.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have been using my cast net lately to get some shad, and have been catching alot of 3"-6" white bass, just curious how those would work for bait?

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Well first you have to check your local states regulations on weather you can even keep them. Most states don't allow to keep gamefish if caught in a castnet. As for using them for bait, well I found they work really well. On the lake I fish there are thousands of them along with tones of shad. The bigger fish really like those small whitebass. Afew weeks ago I caught several big flats and a 65lb blue on them. I use a saltwater Sabikasti rig to catch the whitebass. I never thought the blues would eat them. Afew years ago a friend was out on the lake striper fishing and saw a huge blue come up and grab a wounded whitbass on the surface. After that I started using them and have caught alot of bigfish. I never thought the bigger fish would be able to catch those small white for how fast they are.

3. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    Yupp yupp
    Tomahawk got it before me!

I use them for stripers after the herring are gone and work really well.They don't seem to hold up long in heavy current though,least not for me they didn't.So I'd get a few of em.

The sabiki rigs are excellent for catching them and they usually school up so if ya get one theres a very good chance you'll get a few more.I'd start by fishing where you were netting them.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Here in Arkansas, I think it is illegal to use white bass as bait. :confused:

5. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I have heard of people catching some monster flats on bass! In Indiana they are game fish so it is illegal to use them as bait, but I know there are some states that it is legal to use them. If it's legal there, I would use them in a second!! Good LUck!

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I went fishing about a month ago and caught a 10 and a 19 pound blue on Primos dip bait. When I went to take the fish out of the livewell, one of them had spit out the remains of a white bass that would have been about the size of my hand.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have heard that the cats eat white bass. Sure wish we could use them for bait here our lake is full of them.

8. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I hear you Verlon! Man do I wish you could use them as bait in Indiana :sad: I've seriously heard of guys pulling in sixty and seventy pound flatheads on them, and the bass were more than a foot long! I guess I'll stick to goldfish. They have done well for me this year. Good Luck!

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Howdy,
    A few weeks back, on a trip to lake Roosevelt here in Arizona, my buddy tied on a largemouth bass and landed a 30#er..

The bass was around 9-10 inches..
    So I guess that just goes to show that the flatheads will readily attack and eat baits they are used to seeing.

10. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    they are legal in PA and i use them and shad all the time. I have caught many cats on them (channels and flats) they stay alive along time and are really frisky on the hook! Ypu can catch them on anthing that moves, i recommeny small kastmasters.

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Its legal in Ohio also as long as you catch them with R/R not with cast net. I think they have to be less than 12"(inches) also

12. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I belive local laws here state that you can use them if they were caught on rod and reel. I just think that since there is an abundance of them in the area that I fish, that they would be a great bait, having recently found shad in the area (thanks to the allmighty FITEC SUPER SPREADER) my catch rate has increased at least five fold.

13. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    If they are legal to use if caught on rod and reel,get a couple "SABIKI rigs"
    They work great for catching them lil white bass and have caught a few shad on them too although most were snagged.

Just be sure to read the law if there is one about them.Here in NJ they say your only allowed 3 "burred" hooks on the rigs.
    Well sabikis have 6 hooks and they are all burred,don't go cut the other 3 hooks off just snip the burrs off the top 3.
    I say top 3 cause my experience has been most of them i caught were closer to bottom.

14. misterwhiskers

State:
    Trenton
    Givin away some of my tactical secrets here!

If the rigs don't seem to be working and you know theres white bass where your fishing.........

Tip a few of the hooks with little pieces of garden worms or some other worm.I found this seemed to outperform just a gold hook.Fishing side by side the rig with worm pieces did about 4 times better.
    Caught 4-5 to 1.
    Many times you'll get 3-4 fish at atime that is if you tip 3-4 hooks lol
    Good Luck

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I don't generally use white bass but white perch will catch big blue cats. Santee is slam full of white perch so a lot of guys use them down there. It is illegal to use a castnet to catch them here though but they can be caught on a rod&reel. :)

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I've caught some Flatties this year on White Bass I have caught from the spot I was fishing. The White Bass were in the 7" - 8" range.

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    if i can catch a large mouth bass a white perch i will use them for sure they are great baits. i think a large mouth bass will catch a flattie before anything else. on hartwell stripers about 4 or 5 inches long are deadly cat baits also. but they are real hard to catch that small u just have to luck up and catch one.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just be sure you check the regs for your waters before you bait with anything live, unless you're buying it from a baitshop. While getting an illegal baitfish from them is no defense, you're pretty safe betting that the baitshop is selling only legal baitfish.
    Different states have different regs concerning this; and some states have different regs for different waters.

19. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the upstate of s.c. game fish are legal but you must catch on rod and real and you cant be over legal limit in numbers. we dont have size limit except on trout. low country not sure because they are size limits but dont know how that works if you are using them for bait.

20. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Ive just started using white perch/bass(?) last year thanks to the pros at this site. Man the cats at santee love em. Wierd thing is, ive caught 40lbers and up on white perch/bass(i dont know which is which) that were only 2 inches long! Everytime id reluctantly throw it out because i couldnt find any larger ones..and id get a nice blue.