white bass

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by IA Flatcatter, Mar 25, 2009.

1. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    I have heard stories about catching white bass or stripers at the dam at keokuk. Do any of you guys know when this run usually happens? sounds like a lot of fun. Also has anyone caught them up on pool 19?
    larry

2. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I was fishing for catfish down at Keokuk last year and there was alot of boats up by me fishing for stripers. Not sure of the date but ill find out by looking at some pictures I took that day. They had on white twister tails. Some people had on 2 twisters about 18 inch. apart. One guy sat in a spot for a few hours and every cast he would reel is 1 or 2. When he hooked into one the whole school would get stirred up and you could see them come up out of the water it was pretty sweet. Im definitly going to try it out this year. He was keeping them. I wouldnt be surprised if he had 100 or more. Are they good eating?

3. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Calvin, I like to eat them. It's been a while tho. Catching two at a time, that's what I heard too. The guy told me he would just wait until he had two on and lift em both in at once. and he said they would count how many they caught by how many wash tubs full they had! Sounds like a good fish story to me...

4. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Ya a very good fish story. Although it would be a true one. I wouldnt be surprised if 2 guys boated 3 or 400 in a day. They are thick down there. I catch alot of them in my throw net. Catfish_Kenny probably has also.