White Bass in the Grand River?

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by bwanatony, May 17, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hi All,
    I really don't fish for much other than Flatheads- and bait for flatheads, but I just read something interesting in the MI DNR fishing report.
    They said white bass are hitting in the Grand.
    I have fished here for 40+ years and never SEEN a white bass in West MI.
    Does anyone know what they are talking about?
    Thanks,
    Tony

2. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Been catching them every Spring for the past 15 years on the Grand. They must make a spawning run up the Grand from the big lake. Most of the ones I've seen have been 10 inches or less. If you throw out a crawler in the months of April or May your going to get a White Bass. I caught one 2 years ago on a piece of fresh cut bait intended for a cat that weighed close to 3 pounds. It was actually a cool looking fish. Good fighter too. I bet they would make good Flathead bait.:big_smile:

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Excellent!
    Thanks for the reply, I guess my trips to the lower Grand have always been during the wrong time of year, I fish above GR most of the time (close to home).
    I'm going to bring my 12-year-old and a bunch of white-grub spinnerbaits down there and see what we can catch.
    And yes, I'll bet they would be great flathead bait- especially if you cut off the lower lobe of the tail, so they swim around & around & around...
    Good fishing to you!