White bass fishing

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by countrycat15, Jun 10, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys,a subject i never hear mutch about on here is white bass fishing.we fish for em in the south fork river.so how bout it guys,if any of yall fish for em plese let me know what yall use for bait and how big yall biggest white bass was.just curious.

2. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Next to blue gill, I would say white bass and in the case of the Truman Lake, hybrids, are the best way to promote enthusiasim for the sport of fishing. I've taken adults "cat fishing" and they didn't seem to impressed unless we caught some really large fish, but put those same people on the front deck throwing an eight oz. chartruse jig to a school of feeding whites and watch the attitude change. Truman Lake and the Osage river (Lake Ozark) will hold "whites" or hybrids in the same areas year round, finding them usually isn't a problem. Only once have I found a person that didn't get enthusiastic about fishing when catching whites, to each his/her own I guess. I use everything from jigs to Shad Raps and usually the brighter and noisier the better, but I've caught them on turkey liver, (So (?), they'll hit anything when feeding. Shallow water near old road beds and humps are the best place to find them, but don't discount deep water if there is structure there, edges of river channels work well.....As far as eating them, some like them some don't, but like any other wild game a little careful preparation usually produces a good meal.:big_smile: The reason no one talks much about them is they want to keep all the fun to them selves.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Kenny, I used to fish for white bass at the spillway at Sardis dam in MS. Would catch bunches of 'em on topwater popping lures. That was always a lot of fun. But I don't know where they are 'round these parts.

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys great post's.i just got to check em today because i have been in gatlinburg tennesse on a famliy vacation and we did not have the internet.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

is what yall are calling a white bass what I call a sand bass? I don't really know how to explain it but white with broken horizontal lines on almost the entire sides of the fish?

6. cnwamw

cnwamw New Member

State:
    texas
    i troll bomber 5,6,8 a crank baits at 3mph and kill them here.

the kids nd myself caught the fish in my avator in about 3 and half hours
    fish points and weeds lines,slops

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    John S I'm moving to MO.You throw 8oz jigs at your white bass!!!!!:eek:oooh: That must be some BIGGGGGGGG whites.Maybe 1/8oz?Just kidding.Whites are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.Cleve I used to catch tons of them when they ran up Cow House creek on Ft Hood.I have caught them all over and they are still just as much fun.I use a I/8 oz Kastmaster spoon which I cast right to the schools when they are up.On Percy Priest lake in Tenn I have seen schools in the fall that had Smallmouths,largemouths,hybrids ,whites and stripers ,all killing huge schools of shad on the surface.Then you can throw just about anything and fill the boat.They are great to get kids really going when they are catching them on every cast.:smile2:

8. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    We have gotten into a couple of schools of small ones while 'gill fishing on Lake Wylie (SC). Redworms under bobbers, and you could barely get the slack out of the line before the bobber was under, again, and again. It got almost silly both times. Lot of fun though.

9. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah... I had to get used to the same kind of thing with moving around in the military.

Sand bass=White bass.

Really confusing is that around here they call blue cats white cats.

10. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Jim Helring you have a good eye, """""1/8th"""" Good to know someone is keeping me honest.

11. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    in lakes during the summer, what water column should you retreive (up top, mid-range, bottom)? We don't have a depthfinder. I would assume though if the blitz the baitfish on top, you should retrieve it in the top part of the water column. Thanks.

12. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    your are right about selling someone on fishing with the white bass. I took my wife and youngest daughter out about 3 months ago, put them into a mess of them feeding, they are both sold. I think my wife enjoys fishing as much as I do now, wants to go every weekend. Of course I am not complaining.

13. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    bmaultbay,

What are the most effective rigs and lures you have found for white bass, I will be heading to kansas in july and they have good white bass fishing there. Thanks.

14. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    My daughter was using a 3" plastic shad colored bait, a Zoom bait. I was using a blue and white rattle trap and also chartruese and white spinner. My wife was using the same as my daughter and a 1/8 ounce blue spinner bait.. Ran the lures at varied depths. We caught most at shallower depths on the back side of structure near the banks. Seems they had cornered the bait fish there. Good time.

15. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ok thanks, I hope to hook into some white bass.

16. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

ok I answered my own question and its yes. We used to fish for the in Benbrook Lake in Texas and it seemed like they would hit anything when they were in a feeding frenzy even at times being hooked by 2 anglers on differnt boats at the same time. I like a chrome little george the best. as for my biggest I would guess 2-2.5 lbs average was closer to 1.5. Those things are fun to catch

17. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I usually catch a lot of them on big reserviors in open, deep water using nightcrawlers and minnows under a float. A lot of the fishing for white bass I do is sight fishing, I just watch the water and wait for them to bust baitfish, then I throw my line right out in the middle of the frenzy.

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Breadboy,

Try this, Torpedo -----------Jig-------------Jig -> on to rod tip. each -------------- space being about a foot to a foot and a half. The two jigs will pull the torpedo down off the surface if you don't retrieve it quick enough. Try it on top when they are feeding or let it go down a little right after they apear to stop. Works great. A lot of times you can bring in 2 or 3 fish this way.

19. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

White Bass and Sandies or Sandbass are the same critter. Resembles Hybrids and are great eating. Oklahoma has a lot of great sandie fishin.

20. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I have been putting 3 lead=headed jigs on at a time, mostly with white grubs. After you catch the first fish slow down your retreivel and you will get 2 more at the same time. Lots of fun.