Whistler, Kittycatcher, and Chuckb take on cold front cats

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Chuckb, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Well as a lot of you know it got pretty chilly this weekend. Bryan Shrum and Bob had made plans to come to my house for the weekend for a much needed get away. After convincing Joanne that I desperately needed their company they were on the road. Needless to say we had a great weekend regardless of the weather and the lack of cooperation by the kittys. We did however not get skunked, and I am sure there are several pictures that will be posted later to prove the fact. I will let them tell more about our fantastic weekend when they recover from lack of sleep. Just want to thank them for everything, these are two of the most generous, giving people that I have ever met. I wish things were a little better right now so I could repay all their kindness. I will tell you this much, Bob bested his personal best channel cat twice over the weekend and Bryan caught the meanest catfish he has met to date. Had a blast guys and it won't be the last time! :D

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Sounds like you guys had a great time.

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Chuck, that is fantastic, we are glad ya'll had a great time together. We are looking forward to the pictures and to the stories as well. :)

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well, Chuck is right. We had a blast this weekend. We got there about 5ish on Friday and were on the water by 7 or so. Fished til about 1 AM. Caught a few nice channel cats in Lake Matoon. It was most definately cold and windy. 38 degrees or so Friday and just about the same Saturday night. We fished Coffeen Saturday night and only caught a few small Channel cats. That is a great lake to fish. Nearly as much structure in that lake as there is in the Cumberland River here. LOL I'm not usually much of a lake fisherman, but I could sure get used to these lakes. We fished in Matoon again yesterday and that's when Bob caught two new personal best channel cats. I'll let him tell the story about them. I took some pics and I'll attach them here and in the gallery. Chuck, thanks for the great weekend.

Attached Files:

5. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Here are a few more pics from the weekend. Some good pics of Chuck fighting a 13 lb Channel cat.

Attached Files:

6. Whistler

State:
    TN
    And some more pics. Bob was just getting ready to net Chuck's fish. My little Channel that fought like a big channel cat! LOL And we found the Great Pumpkin on the way too. Not sure if it's real, but it sure looks it. LOL

Attached Files:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    lmao. seen that pumpkin on the way to catstock the last two years. looks like ys all did better than we did. caught 5 this weekend me and earnest and friends at the clinton lake. not quite the size ya all got.

looks like a great time for sure.

8. katfsh1

katfsh1 New Member

State:
    Dixon
    Those are some nice cats!! I got cold just looking at the pics!! (I'm from cali)

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey chuck that looks like a berkly glo stick with a trophy series abu? am i warm? :D

10. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    You hit the nail on the head Jerm. He had that glowstick bent double more than once.

11. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    That last fish that Bryan caught hit his rod HARD! I thought for sure he had a 15#er.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Glad everyone had a great time. And Looks Bryan is doing a lot better..LOL
    Pete

13. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Sounds like you guys had a great trip. Nice fish.

-brian

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Great fishing guys and glad to see you all catching fish again. Guess if the channels are hitting in 30 something degree temperature I can get motivated to tackle them in the 40's. LOL. Thanks for sharing...

15. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Vic, you'll have to come down in Feb when the water temps are in the low 40's. LOL Air might be that warm sometimes. Daytime fishing then, but sometimes the biguns come out to play when it's like that. Nice a toasty on the pontoon in cold weather!! LOL

16. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Pete, I am better but still not 100%. Unfortunately, Chuck got to watch me struggle to get out of the boat Friday night. LOL I looked pretty bad I guess. I have no knees right now sometimes. But I got to fish with great friends and that's what mattered. Wish I could go back next week. LOL We had a very good time over the weekend.

17. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Bryan, you'll be back to 100% before you know it. Glad to to see you fishing again buddy.

Jaime

18. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hey Bryan, I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better man, and if you're doing better in February save me a seat on that pontoon. LOL. I said I would fish in the cold even if it hairlips the governor for a chance to catch a big blue. Hopefully gas prices will fall to a respectable level, but if not I'm still coming, Lord willing!!! To get my mind right for the occasion I plan on extending my catfishing all the way into December if I can stand it! ROTFLOL!!!

Take care,
    Vic Brown

19. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I see where you caught some cats in Lake Mattoon. I didn't see any report of catch and release. Did you check the cats to see if they had been caught previously? I catch and release a lot of cats in Lake Mattoon, I live right on the lake and can go fishing any time I choose to, day or night. If I choose to keep the big channels I catch, I think I could make a dent in the local cat population. But, I prefer to keep them where they can be caught again. I hope you fellows did also. We have a nice place to fish and we hope to keep it that way.

20. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    Dave, you will be happy to know all the cats were CPRed. I thought about keeping a couple of the small ones but we were to tired to fool with them. There were no previous signs of any of them being caught before. If you catch a 10#er with a torn lip it is one Bob caught. It bit him and he tore its lip trying to get the hook out. :p