Whiskey still

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, May 27, 2008.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone ever see a real whiskey still in operation? I'm not talking about the legal kind.

When I was 14 while squirrel hunting not far from our house in foothills of the Ouachita Mountains in AR I walked into an operating "white lighting" still. I didn't see anyone but I felt like they were close by. I got out of there pretty quick. We had only lived in AR a few months. Couple years later I found out who owned the still when he told me about the day he saw me.

I recently took this picture of a whiskey still on the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA. It's at one of the many historical stops.

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Anything left in them barrels? LOL! I know ya had to smell one of em. LOL! Back in 71 when I was in the service a fella from West Virginia went home for leave and brought some back. All I can say is "OUCH!!!!!!" It was an experience ya won't forget. LOL!

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Lot of stills in this area. Johnston county, NC is well known for it.
    The sheriff's department found another one a few weeks ago a couple of miles from the house investigating a stolen tractor. They smelled the mash.

It's high tech now. You dont see much of this beside the creek action anymore.
    Most of it is done indoors now with alot of money invested in stainless steel vats. Not uncommon to fork out 20 grand just tooling up.
    They'll cook in one building, pipe it underground to another building where they run it off, proof it, and jug it.
    I've seen it piped to a utility room sink under a carport before. You didnt get water out of the sink faucet, you got liquor.

Most of these raids produce a 1000 or more gallons of moonshine jugged and several thousands gallons of mash. You can run off of the same mash several times.

The penalty for making liquor is minimal. I dont think they even arrest you here. They write you ticket to appear in court.
    What you have to worry about is the IRS.
    They'll come in and ESTIMATE how long the still has been in production, how much it was capable of producing and do the math. The figure I heard some years ago was that the feds lose 13 dollars a gallon in tax revenue per gallon of untaxed liquor. Take a still that has been in production for a year producing a 1000 gallons of liquor a week at 13 dollars a gallon.
    Thats over 1/2 million taxes.

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I plead the Fifth Amendment. :wink:
    The first still I saw was ran by the local "law enforcement".
    He also ran the local dog fight pit, cock fight pit and a bare knuckle boxing ring.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    No not me never seen one:eek:oooh::0a10::smile2:.

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    I have always wanted to try moonshine. I hope to try it some time.:wink:
    P.S I will be attending the 2009 Expo.

Jaime

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    you're lying like a rug Johnny:smile2:

8. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They sell DIY size units on eBay. http://www.bluegrassmoonshinestills.com/
    I have tried it years ago and WOW! Never saw a still in the wild. I think years ago they figured out you can't use lead solder.

As usual it's about money not saving the public from themselves.

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Well being from WV I have gotten to have my fair share of moonshine.

I know of a still in production that when not in use you couldnt tell what it is.Folds into 4 50 gal drums.Since the guy is a farmer nobody suspects those drums of hydraulic oil.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Only seen em on TV but I used to brew beer in my garage. A friend of mine used to make it years ago, but then he almost got caught and rehabilitated himself. That was back in the days of the chain gangs. He said he made some pretty good stuff, and was gonna show me how to do it too. He claimed to make pretty good smooth stuff. Another guy I knew used to run the stuff from the still to the sellers, didn't sound like something I wanted to do tho. Must be good stuff if people like to drink it.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Dayton I've seen em, and could find one within a two hour drive of here on the river. It's still pretty common. Back in 69, I pumped gas at a Site Oil Co. station here in Jeffersonville, and the load cars would fill up when I was working on tuesday nights. They had to modify the cars for the runs. I'd get a jug for being a "good boy", and take it to my grandpa. Gramps would always drop off the empty jug on sunday, "after church", and then wait for the next run......I'd never know which tuesday night they'd show, but always once a month. You'd hear the car coming fore ya saw it. They were sweet machines. Gas was bout 30 cents a gallon, LOL. You could go to the local hardware store and ask for "paint thinner from the barrel" and get fixed up. The local cops sure did a lot of painting back in those days.
    :smile2:
    Later when I was a Corpsman in the Navy I could get pure grain alcohol from the pharmacy, two pints a month, just on my signature, and I'd mix up some "torpedo" juice for the guys. That's a young man's sport also. I always had ta argue with the southern boys bout it....the pharmacy grade stuff had to be "cut" for safety sake, and there was always one said I was ruinning it making punch, LOL.

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Just looked up the "Police Chief", and he did time for 2 counts of A&B w/ intent to kill, 3 shooting w/ intent to kill and 2 counts of burglary.

Knew another police chief that made his own Spring Elixir, but due to health reasons, he hasn't done any in almost 20 years. :sad2:

I want to be a Police Chief when I grow up.

13. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I never saw a still but tried shine once, I don`t remember if I liked the stuff or not. LMAO!!!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    It's like beer. You are allowed to make and have on hand a certain amount considered for own consumption.
    Seen several stove top stills over the years.

It's like a rooster. It's not illegal to own one. It's illegal to fight him.:smile2:

15. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ole: Thanks for the memory lane trip. Where I came from wine making and corn squeezin's were made for home consumption. Didn't have much "commercial" activities.

However there is a distinct similarity, modus operante, of the many meth labs now found in the area. If the fire department gets a night call to an abandoned barn or house in the country it is usually a meth lab that got out of control.

Visited with a neighbor who is a flagger for road construction last week. Work has started in this area. The company hires extra flaggers from a jobber outfit for the season. Last week the DOT honchos showed up at a job site before hours. While there they got a funny ammonia smell in the air. One of them walked over to the porta potty and 6 men were in there getting their jolt before work. Cops came and hauled all 6 off for possession. They automatically lose their jobs and can't work a state job for a year. Anybody need a job for the summer, I know someone who is hiring.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Yep Ive seen em and drank the stuff. There are still some around but you have to leave the cities to find it. MOstly in the east and west of the state. Ive always loved eating the fruit, strawberries ymmm:dribble:,.

17. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I have a buddy that makes shine. Then he cuts it with apple cider and man is that good. Another way is to put peaches in the jar and let it set on the shelf for a few weeks and enjoy. Don't forget the chard shine. They sell some in a local store if you know the owner:wink:. In my area of the little world its hard to find someone that has not tried shine.

18. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    If these stinking gas prices keep going up, I might consider building my own still and convert my vehicles to run on the stuff!!:wink::big_smile::tounge_out::smile2:lol.. Thanks for the post and the pic Dayton.:0a31:

19. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    when i was a kid i made extra money carrying sugar in to different stills. never was allowed to hang around to see it cook. funniest thing i ever saw was when a tree fell over a pasture fence and 3 cows ate all the mesh in a barrell. folks came from miles around to see the drunk cows. dang cows gave up the still location to the local law.

20. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You would think that by the third page of this thread, someone would post a recipe. I would like to try making some. We need blueprints and recipes. lol:smile2::smile2: