whiskers / algea / pain

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KnotGillty, Jul 19, 2009.

1. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Here's the quick & dirty rundown. Went to clear lake on Saturday for a rare 6 hour trip. Fished from 7am to 1pm and got off the water before it got too hot.

Landed 13 channel cats between 3 & 9 pounds. Both of the guys with me got new personal best channel cats.

Lots of algea on the water and around the docks. It's disguisting and is getting worse.

Got speared by a pectoral fin. Not just speared, impaled. About 1/2 inch of the pectoral fin went into my left ring finger. The tip of the fin caught on something in my finger and I couldn't easily get it out. Finally just used enough force to slide the finger off the fin. Pulled part of the tendon out of my finger. We fished for 4 more hours after this because I wanted to get my friends on fish. I didn't let the puncture wound ruin the day.

That's it. Tight lines.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Here's my finger 4 hours after later.

Attached Files:

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Randy, Thanks for the reports. Hope that finger isn't too bad. May need to get it checked out. Is it infected?
    That algea is terrible. Great that you put another on their personal best:wink: Take cae of that finger brother:wink:

4. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Yepper it's that time of year ..High heat ..low oxygen and algea blooming like crazy ....Man that finger look's swollen and painful:eek:oooh: Hope it heals uo soon.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Big Randy Does It Again"!!!!!
    :0a23:wtg
    Hey Randy - Have you ever thought about being a Channel Catfish guide on Clear Lake?
    If you ever do - I could be your first customer.
    :wink:lol

But Really Man - you sould have that finger checked-out -it don't look so good.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yep, Randy's guide service. Sounds good:wink:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Way to "COWBOY" up. LOL! Thats some bad arse algae. Good report.

8. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Way to go on hooking them guys up with personal bests. Sorry to hear about your finger. Hope it heals without loosing any range of motion. You gotta take care of yourself or pretty soon we're all gonna have to real your fish in for you.:smile2: That algae sure is sick lookin. Looks a little worse than when we went. This heat isn't going to help anything either. Oh well, the fishing is good.:wink:

9. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    The wound is healing up nicely. It's been draining for several days. I have decent range of movement. The little thingy sticking out of the finger is pretty much receeded back inside the wound. I've been taking antibiotics since Saturday night, so any infection or contamination should be taken care of.

The toxin on the catfish fin obviously went into my system. One weird thing is that when I press down on the top of my knuckle, it hurts. The dang fin didn't come anywhere near my knuckle. I suspect the toxin gathered in the knuckle

I never did go to the doctor. I don't like stopping for directions either:wink:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Ouch man Ouch.

11. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Dahhmmmm a mans man dude you are either tough or crazy or a little of both. Just keep an eye on it mrsa aint nuthin to sneeze at and is possible from catfish slime n alge water crud,

12. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    Hey Randy I don;t know if I told ya but if you get stuck take the slime off the belly and it will quit hurtin bud. But in that case if you got a tendon that is medical looksee time. good luck with the finger man.
    Fish04
    Don

13. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Yeah, I know about the belly trick Fish04. Unfortunately, the puncture wound was a little too big to use that trick. Besides, the blood was coming out so steadily that any belly slime would have just been flooded away. Several times I pulled back on the skin and I could literally see deep inside my finger. The finger bled for over 2 hours. Here I am 4 days later, and the wound is still draining each day. It was a pretty hardcore experience.

If I start growing whiskers or gills, then I'll be worried:wink:

Fish04, do you post on any other Nor Cal sites? Another site I frequent has a member named Fish04.

Welcome to the boards

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    the blood was coming out so steadily that any belly slime would have just been flooded away. Several times I pulled back on the skin and I could literally see deep inside my finger. The finger bled for over 2 hours. Here I am 4 days later, and the wound is still draining each day.

You see Randy, thats why they call us catfisherman crazy. :big_smile: Did you ever check that out at the doctor? It may need a few needles injections or more or different antibotics.

B

15. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Nope, never went to the doctor. We had antibiotics at home. The injury occurred about 9am, and by 5pm I was taking oral antibiotics. I've been taking them every day since. I have enough to last me through Friday.

I'm sure it could use some stitches, but I'm not going to bother. The plan is to just keep it clean & let it heal.