Whisker biscuit?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by dugjonz, Apr 12, 2007.

1. dugjonz

dugjonz New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey all! I'm not only new to catfishing, but I'm gonna take a whack at bowhunting this year for the first time too. I got what I thought was a good deal on a new bow that is a couple years out-of-date. It's a PSE Bruin and it came rigged with everything (sight, peep-sight, stabilizer, arrow rest, quiver, etc.). I also bought a dozen Gold Tip carbon arrows.

First time out to the range, the rubber sleeves on the PSE arrow rest wore through after maybe 30 shots and the arrows started falling through. :angry: This was a little frustrating, since I had just gotten my second pin lined up the way I wanted it. So I slid the rubber sleeves up farther and cut off the excess and started over with resighting.

The sights didn't take as long to line up after that adjustment, so I made it deep into fine-tuning the third pin when "plunk", the arrow falls through again. :crazy: At this point I'm kinda steaming, so I pulled the rubber sleeves completely off so I would no longer have this problem. I rotated the pins inward just enough to keep the arrows from falling through and tried again.

Now, without the rubber padding the arrows, you hear a substantial scraping almost grinding sound when you draw the carbon arrow back dragging it along the bare metal of the rest. Not only does it make enough noise that I'm sure would spook a deer, I also think it has to be hard on the arrows. I made the mistake of trying to restart aligning my sights on the third pin at 40 yards. This change was a little more drastic as it moved the arrows both vertically and horizontally. Tried four shots. The first two barely found their way into the target. The third burrowed half-way into the 2x8 that was bolted on top of the target. The fourth ricocheted off the side bolt and down the hill into the woods below - about 150 yards past the target.
    :choler:

Finally, I gave up for the day and decided to come back after getting a new arrow rest.

Now, with all that long-winded detail I have a couple or three questions:

Will a whisker biscuit give me the silent draw and stability I'm looking for? I've heard mention by some that their whisker biscuits make noise when drawing. Is this caused after it's worn or possibly after it gets wet (like the way a paint brush dries stiff)? Does the full-circle version perform any differently than the newer notched biscuit? Seems like the full circle version might be more balanced, since you don't have the missing bristles if a big section between two vanes, but I probably wouldn't ever notice the miniscule difference.

Should I be concerned about the performance, stability, and safety of the rest of the bow and accessories that came in the package?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doug

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    doug, first of all i want to welcome you to the boc, glad to have you join us. its a great site full of helpful info. second i want to say congrats on pickin up the bowhuntin interest, its pretty cool sport. My husband hunts bow alot, hes shot in local tourneys over the years round here and knows alot bout them....he originally shot recurve but he does compound also. I would love to answer your questions myself, but i usually hafta reference back to him to make sure im thinkin right on that.....I am on campus right now and cant speak with him at the moment, but i will ask tonite and post back what he has to say on it for ya if you would like. he would prob enjoy helpin someone who wants to get started in it. im sure there will be other members on here that are very qualified to answer that question for you too....just dont give up hope yet and dont let the frustration make you wanna quit. hang in there and it will get better the more you do it. i wish you great success with it.

3. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello dugjonz,
    I dont know of any rest that will give you an absolute silent draw with a compound. A whisker bisket won't, I know that. I had a 180ish score buck define that for me. But if I was still shooting a compound I would still use one. I feel more positives than negatives. The main this is now I am more aware of the draw issue and will becareful to prevent it from happening again.
    Dam them buck can hear good.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a25: :0a25: Doug welcome to the BOC. Sounds like you have purchased some good equipment. I would like to wish you luck on your quest for deer. :big_smile:

5. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    Hey doug welcome to boc. The wisker biscut is a very good arrow rest if you have vanes for fletchings. They do not work for feather fletchings. imo i would recomend the one with the notch in it. For easier loading. I like the dropaway rest but i wouldnt recomend them because of the price of them. No need to spend more than you have since you are just getting started. It sounds like you a real good bow. The wisker biscut is a nice rest and will work good for a begginer bow hunter it will keep your arrow in place. One less thing you have to worry about. Hope this helps you out if you need anymore advice feel free to pm me. I am not most knowledge person on the subject but i do know i little bit. I will help you with what ever i can. Shawn

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ditch the wisker biscuit, and put some heat shrink tubing on your 2 prong rest. i use the stuff with glue in it, and pinch the ends tight on the backside of the prongs while it's still warm. it pulls it tight, and seals the end. wisker biscuits will deform fletchings.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    also i'd like to add something. you mentioned using several sight pins. i used to do that. there's way too much math, and calculation when a monster sneaks in on you. it's also confusing during low light conditions. yellow pins disappear in the early a.m. and red disappears in the evening. i use one green pin sighted in at 25 yards. i shoot a darton hurricane that shoots over 320 fps. so for me there's not much guesswork with the drop. the difference between 25 and 40 yards is only a few inches when sighted in on a deer. try using only one pin for awhile. it really takes a lot og the guesswork out of your shooting.

8. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    There are pro's and cons to each type of rest. To be honest with you I dont worry about the arrow noise on draw during practice time. When I tweek my set up before the hunt I replace the plastic on my rest. Odds are they gave you a quicktune in your original set up. Not a bad rest not top of the line but solid. I like the biscuit for several reasons....no accidental flopping of the arrow "tink,tink" at in oppurtune times. Also you can make leaning and even upsidedown shots if your biscuit properly fits your shaft. The noise is in my opinion miniscule to the sound of my heart pounding, and, the dear dont seem to care about that. I love the drop away, but, they are pricey. I am currently set up with a drop away, Trophy Ridge. You may lose speed with the biscuit, but I think at your particular experience level, it is the way to go. Of course opinions will very, but, I am a bowhunter of 20 years so anytime you have a question....I'll have some answers for you. I know of a company that is making a new style of drop away, I believe it's called a sure-drop.
    It is the most economical one I've found....downside I haven't shot through one yet.

Rich

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I don't believe your bruin will pull over mid/ high 200's as far as feet per second. I would also suggest cutting down to a couple of pins. Know your effective kill range and don't just toss shots out there. I personally consider a 30yard shot long. Can I shoot farther than that....yes and accurately. However there are many factors which make a shot at that range or over an iffy shot at best. I take the majority of my deer at 20 yards and less. Work on scent control and you'll be able to reach out and touch em, with the proper scouting, use of scents,calls, treestand....etc.

10. bigfatcat

bigfatcat New Member

State:
    virginia
    i have a whisker biscuit rest and i have not had a problom with it it is pretty silent and have never had a arrow fall but my fathers friend hade a problom with it starting to peel of its vanes but the is only becuase he had his nok set up so when he released one of the vanes went through the tougher part of the rest whick is the bottom of the rest since it supports the arrow but if you have the arrow so it will not send a vane going through the tougher part of the rest you will be good to go(my father says his arrow always falls off his 2 prong rest it happened twice this season and once in the back yard while practicing)

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Bigfatcat: Good point. I often build a little glue ramp leading up to the fletching, this slows that peeling problem. Also if finances permit refletch your arrows just before the season, leaving enough time to determine which arrows are your best fliers.

12. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I use a whisker biscuit and have no complaints. Great for hunting, no arrow to bang around when nocked. Depending on location hunting, if freezing rain, or heavy frost, the biscuit can freeze as well, not good, could lose all vanes. But a coating of snow seal or some similar water proofing will fix that. If target shooting, drop away rest would be the way to go. I have lost some vanes from the whisker, not enough to be concerned with.

13. dugjonz

dugjonz New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you all for imparting your wisdom. I'm still not 100% convinced for or against the biscuit. :confused2: Now you have me trying to compare my existing two-pronger with the biscuit AND fall-away rests. I went out to the Bass Pro website to do a little research and even found more styles. There are so many to choose from it's kinda overwhelming.

Guess I'll just have to fork over the gas money to drive down there so I can play with them in person for my next stage of research.

That doesn't mean I want you to stop the discussion, though. Please...continue. Any other successes or failures to report? Pros or cons?

Thanx,
    Doug

14. dugjonz

dugjonz New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Right. The bruin's rated at 295FPS, but I'm not pulling the full 70# weight right now (I'm set at 64) - then again, I'm shooting a 31" draw which supposedly adds a tiny amount of speed. Anyway... I think the 3 pin setup I have is useful for target practice, but for hunting I will probably not want to use more than the one set for 20 yards.

Thanks for the tip on the colors. I'll make the hunting pin the green one and see how it works for my eyes.

Thanx,
    Doug

15. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I recently changed my rest. I thought about what type I should get for a while but I ended up going with a drop away rest. I couldn't be happier with its preformance. I don't think you could go wrong either way but I just had to throw my opinion in the fire :smile2:. As far as price, if i remember right they were about the same... I ended up paying about $50 for mine plus whatever it was to install and tune it. Again, I couldn't be more happy with the drop away and I thought I'd give you another option. Also, welcome to the BOC.

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i see a lot of people in her mentioning the arrow dropping off a 2 prong rest. here's something to look for in the bows that do that. if you have a smooth draw it should'nt fall off. if it does theres something wrong with your setup. either the knock is being pinched, or the cam timing is off. if your using an older twin cam bow if the top cam trails the bottom this will happen. i also use a knock loop attached above and below the arrow. so there's no pinch point. both of these factors will affect arrow flight. i like to put every one of my arrows in the boiler room. but, i've had to give up on a lot of blood trails and lose a lot of deer before i finally started figuring these things out..

17. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    The arrow drop off I was speaking of was when you are daydreaming and tip your bow...not upon draw. Or am I the only one who does that...LOL... You are absolutely correct smooth draw, good form, propper set up, not an issue on the draw.

18. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Although I'm not a fan of the knock loop. Single knock, cushion button for me.

19. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    lol. you're not the only one who does that. i even nodded off one time, and my bow dropped a few inches. the rail around the climber stand i was using in front of me caught the arrow and my sight window sheared the arrow clean off. if thats not bad enough, i caught a flash of white bouncing over my shoulder.....you guessed it. it was'nt his tail i seen bouncing. it was headgear..:angry:

20. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I don't really have anything positive to say about the biscuit. I suppose it's an alright rest if you hunt out of a stand and like having your arrow ready to go. I bought one a few years ago and had to get rid of it after about a week because it was ruining my fletchings and affecting my accuracy. Switched to a drop rest and everything's great. :tounge_out: