While morel hunting

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by dogcat, Apr 4, 2007.

1. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    My buddy found this in my favorite spot. My first thought was...BAIT...but this one deserved to be left and reproduce. Spotted salamanders aren't comnon around here.

Attached Files:

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I have not seen one of those in years.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    keen eye to spot that

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Once they pass the stage where they have gills, they don't last very long for bait anyway. They are cute critters. They recently discovered a type here that is only found in Bedford County, Va.. It's called the Peaks of Otter Salamander. (The Peaks of Otter are the dominant features of the mountains around here, and are the 2nd and 3rd highest mountains in Virginia.)

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Very cool. I woulda never spotted that.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I know of a few vernal pools where I can find spotted salamander eggs & babies but I have yet to find an adult even at night with the flashlight.

7. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Haven't seen one of those in years...haven't seen any mushrooms this year yet.

8. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I used to work /live at a horse ranch and there was a small livestock pond with frogs and lots of copperheads. one day while we were picking up old plywood that had been sitting there for about a year we found over 20 of them but these had white spots and lines on them. we put about half of them back in the pond and the other half in a creek I like to go critter hunting in. it was the first and only time in my life I have seen salamanders in the wild.

9. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Very cool, but my favorite is the cave sally! :smile2:

10. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Thnnk you everyone for the posts and the next will be of morels....GAURANTEED or your money back.

11. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Even with 50 degrees yesterday all it took was some sun. Greene Co. 04/14/07. As promised above the next pics will be.... They were left and covered and will revisit in a few days maybe a few more will be found even if they don't grow much and I hope we hit 70's sometime in the next few days so the blondes and yellows just burst like years past in my spots.

Attached Files:

12. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Beautiful pics, especially of the sally. Keep on clickin'

Dru

13. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Thursday 04/18 went south to hunt with my friend Helene, her husband Mike died 4 years ago of a heart medical disaster long story and too sad to retell, so I took her to Mike's woods for the first time in years. Found my first 4 besides above at a place that gets a tad more sunshine. Went looking at another "spot" and while she kept telling me this is the wrong spot I said well this spike <semi libre> is next to the "right" elm. Didn't shoot a pic of the spike but here is the beginning of what looks to be a late but great season since we have soil temps and finally tonight some more rain.
    How good are your eyes? He is tricky to see!

Attached Files:

14. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Update: It's on in SW Ohio found about 100 yesterday before storms chased out of the woods, speaking of which spotted a couple lowerings with rotating wall clouds I reported to the weather service. Will have some pics as soon as my buddy emails them to me. I find them, took another buddy along who had found them while fishing but had never gathered them to break him in and Andy shoots the pics when he is along with a better camera, wsplit them 2 ways for a nice taste. A few semi libre<spikes> many greyish M. Esculenta and many just beautiful blondes. 2-3 weeks late but they starting to flush in SW Ohio and will be all at once with these warm temps, same will hold for other areas that were so cold in the country. Bring on the Yellows! A nice group of elm oysters was found by T.J. so will post a pic of those too. He said: "Hey Scott what are these big old mushrooms on the edge of this tree?" Andy about wet himself when he saw them as he loves oysters almost as much as morels. Went back to where I was before he called me to drag out another dozen I was honing in on. Then on to the next Ash with a bush nearby :) Good day until I pulled into to work and my mother called to tell me my ailing aunt had passed. Ying and the Yang folks is all I can say. Elm's are not fruiting very well in my spots this year, these were mixed Tulip Poplar and Ash finds.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds good! I gotta get back out there ASAP!

16. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    More, many more to follow.

Attached Files:

17. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    2nd one came out of Andy's bag, we never took a group shot when we split them 3 ways. Found about 30 more tonight after TJ went behind our back and visited our honey hole yesterday with 60. He had better share:0a30: :0a30:

Attached Files:

18. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    178 more today in a new woods I have never hubted not 10 miles from my apartment, Pics will be posted tomorrow. Go out and get em in SW Ohio.

19. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks for the post have not seen one of those in years. Had one as a pet when I was a kid. Very easy pet!
    :boss: ​

20. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Being that Im not a real big fan of mushrooms Im assuming that all of those are edible?