While driving through Arkansas

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfishcentral, Oct 11, 2007.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I drive a lot for work and see road signs from time to time that give me a chuckle. I was driving in the Southern part of Arkansas this week and took this pic. I had to turn around and see if that's really the name of this lake. I swear this isn't photoshopped.

Attached Files:

2. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    You every thing here in Arkansas.:smile2:

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    GOOD ONE LOL
    arkansas has some petty humorous names for sure.
    "POSSUM GRAPE" is my favorite followed by buzzard roost, baldknob ,
    i now would like a tshirt that reads i spent my vacation on peckerwood lake :smile2:. thanks for posting that

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Lets not leave out toadsuck ark. Being down there did ya stop in at macks? Macks is a gotta stop anytime your in that area. Peckerwoods some great crappie fishing, with a few catfish coming along too. Wished i knew you were coming through this area, you were 30ish minutes from the house......

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Ya know there's someone with that on their W2 out there somewhere.....bet the IRS is flagged the file, LOL. I bet there's a sign that says Clinton slept there.
    :big_smile:

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Oh heck ya I stopped in Macks. I love looking through that place every time I pass that way. I also love driving through Flippin Ar. I love the sign outside one of the local church's "Welcome to the Flippin Church of Christ".:smile2: I got a picture of that sign somewhere around here.

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Chris You mean to tell Us that Them There Catfish in Your Avaitor Diden't come from Peckerwood Lake? Well I'll be Dang!!! LOL. Thank's for the Chuckle.J.D.:wink::smile::byebye:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't forget Blue Ball, AR. If you draw a triangle between Ft. Smith, Russellville, and Hot Springs, Blue Ball sits right in the center. Greasy Corner, Turkey Scratch, Booger Hollow, and Possum Grape also come to mind.

And lest we neglect our sister states, I've got a 35mm slide of the town sign for Stupidville, TN. Yahoo can't find it, but if I remember right (over 40 years ago), it was on hwy. 64 between Memphis and Chattanooga. Then there are Ducktown (and the Duck River), Bucksnort, Cuba, and sweet lips.

Maybe it's because of those long cold winters, but some of the yankee states seem preoccupied with...uh, with...interpersonal relationships....yeah, that's how to put it. In Ohio you have Blue Ball, Climax, Fly, Knockemstiff, Three Legs Town.

OK, I'll 'fess up. I got a lot (but not all) of those names from this site:

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/LA-OddPlaceNames.html

9. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

I'll admit I caught them and old Peckerwood Lake...I stopped by and picked up my bait at this place....:tounge_out::big_smile:

Attached Files:

10. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for that. When I first moved here, I went riding one day and passed a grave yard with a big cast iron sign above the gate that said, "The Stiff Cemetery". I thought to myself, what other kind is there?

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fished peckerwood all my life. It lays south of Hazen and north of stuttgart. Some mity fine crappie fishin and yeilds alot of mallards in the winter. Lagrue bayou makes it up.

12. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i remember one that i always went to when i lived there was beaverfork

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Oh, that's soooo bad! Funny, but bad! :smile2: