Which worm is better for catfish earthworms, nightcrawlers, or blood worms?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jerellman, May 24, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Which worm works better for you? Nightcrawlers, earthworms, or bloodworms?

2. bottom_rig

bottom_rig New Member

State:
    baltimore, md
    nightcrawlers have always worked best for me. there the old trusty stand by, but i mainly use em to catch bait fish now. blood worms are to expensive for my blood, my pockets just cant handle em. i have had some good success on blood worm though when i splurge and buy a bag.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    True green worms have produced the best for me. Catfish love 'em. With nightcrawlers a close second. Now days I'm almost 100% baitfsh guy though, so I wouldn't know which is best lately. Vern

4. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nightcrawlers have been my #1 for cats and baby nightcrawlers for gills and redears.

5. BhamRoadrunner

BhamRoadrunner New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've always used the Wal-Mart Canadian night crawlers with much success.

We also have the green night crawlers at work, I haven't tried those yet however.

6. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i find that nightcrawlers give you more bait to use, the fish like it more, and even though its a little more expensive, its the best all round bait to use!

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'm a big fan of nightcrawlers. They are my all purpose bait, I've caught channels, flatheads, bullheads, bass, bluegills, crappie, perch, carp, suckers, chubs, sauger, white bass, wipers, and an occasional turtle on them. Most anything will take them.

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Blood worms hands down. The dead nasty stinky kind that ya can usually get a real good deal on from the bait shop.

9. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    crawlers always seem to catch a few

10. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Nice big, juicy crawler always work for me when no other bait is working.

11. Here is a nifty trick granted you dont get caught to see which ones work best. Take one of each worm and go to your nearest Cabelas, BassPro, Zoo, petshop, etc and just throw them into a tank with come catfish. Whatever the fish go after first is your winner. Silly I know, but I think outside the box... watch out for that by the way.

12. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I'll have to say nightcrawlers I don;t see much differents with candian to GOOD-OL USA WORMS don't think cats would ethier.

13. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    crawlers always seem to be good for me

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    a big ole ball of night crawlers on the bottom has always worked wonders from me. but for some reason, wal-mart usually rips you off really bad on nightcrawlers so watch out when gettin ur bait there.the bad thing is that many other places have been doin that too

15. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    We use alot of green worms here in kansas. We dig them up on river banks, they squirt a noxious smelling liquid when hooked, that you have to be careful not to get in your eyes because the rumor is that it can blind you. Anyway all the catfish love them channels,blues and flatheads. If a guy knows a good place to dig green worms they usually keep it a well guarded secret. They really work that well. In my opinion they will outfish nightcrawlers 10 to 1, especially if the river is high and the fish are already feeding on the worms being washed in. I've caught channels and flats so full of greenworms that you could see them in the back of their throats.