Which Vintage ABU Garcia 7000 is good?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cat_daddy1, May 10, 2009.

1. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I want a ABU 7000 but I have been told that the new models are junk and I should get a vintage 7000 on EBay. There are so many types does anyone have any advice on the best model or color Garcia 7000 to get?

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I think the whole "new ones are junk" argument is just untrue regarding the 7000's. There are plenty of good current 7000 series models. The ic3's,the rockets and even the i models are all good reels. And the carbon matrix drags are superior to the drags on most of the older models in my opinion.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    No complaints here with my new model abu 9000i big game. I think you'd be ok with any abu 7000

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I look at it like "which is better, ford, chevy, or dodge?"

Each has their fans & critics.

I've got both old & new. If there is a difference in quality, it hasn't showed up yet to me.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Bought two Wally world 7000's for a buddy in trade for something he had and one of them has an issue with the reel engaging, they are'nt as nice as the 7000ic3's that I use in my opinion.

The ic3's will set you back $149.00 each but they are sweet reels. Have 2 and am saving up for four more.

6. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I think it goes like this if your a Chevy man then ford is junk to you. I own 6 of the 7000iCS Pro Rockets and i have only one issue with one and it was the clicker spring. I call them up and had one in 4 days at N.C. If u want something better then u have to change from the Caddie and go to the Rose Royce and dig into that pocket book Any good luck on whatever u choose th o buy

7. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    So the i's are ok. people have been telling me they don't cast as far as the older non i models also more plastic parts. But I like chevy's so I see your point.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Matt, your with the right people now buddy. Your new brothers here will tell you the truth. There are to many eyes watching to get away with any serious BS lol. Ask one of these naysayers to show you all of the plastic parts they are talking about. I'll just bet that whoever is telling you that doesn't even have one or doesn't take proper care of the one that they do or did have. I love mine. :wink:

9. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have several of the 7000's and not an issue with any of them. I have head that the standard 7000's are not as good as the c3's but then again the ic3 do not come close to my 7000 pro rocket. So I would say just go for it and get one of the new one and you will be happy. It goes like this I got a 7000b had it for a while used a 7000ic3 like it better and got one then tried a 7000 Pro Rocket it was even better so I got one of those.

10. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    So Dan you recomen Pro Rocket is that the old model or the i model

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    They do have some older Pro Rockets, I think the Pro Rockets at the top of Abu's reels. I would get one that you can afford now becase other will follow old or new really does not matter. I got new ones just becasue I have more trust in them right out of the box. I would hate to have an older unit break when I have a nice fish on due to abuse that the owner before put it thru.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am a big abu fan, and I have quite a collection...Personally I like the new abus better, because they have a much better drag system in them....I would go with a new 7000ic3

13. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks alot the ic3 seems to be the winner as I am also an abu fan

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I have an older model Abu Garcia 7000c3 which is the red color reel! I have never had an issue with anything mechanical on this reel!! It performs like a champ, casts great and is one heck of a beefy reel made to handle the big boys. Great investment!!

15. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have both the 7000i and 7000ic3. Both are great reels. I lean a little towards the c3 but I have used the i for a long time and I have had no problems. I wouldn't part with either one.:wink:

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I have a LOT of the 7000's in old-new,, ic3-c3,Lever Drag, Narrow ones.., I won't pass one up, they can all be repaired, upgraded, and modified,, if so desired..
    I have one with a set of steel sideplates??!!
    I've changed a few to bearings from bushings,,
    Biggest issue I've had is some worn out drag washers on some old ones,,I upgrade to carbon drag washers when I change them,, and some of the clicker springs get soft occassionally,, and, my ears like the louder sound..

It's my GOAL to try and wear them out!!!