Which Ugly Stik for Baitrunner 6500?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by topjimmy, Jan 8, 2006.

1. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    There are hordes of different models of Ugly Stik rods. I want to put my Baitrunner 6500 on an Ugly Stik, but would rather not have to try several different $60 rods to find the right one. Should I get one of the the Catfish (UCSP) rods, or should I go with a Tiger (BWS2200)? Or should I get a Big Water (BWS 1101)? Is there really a difference between the Catfish, Tiger, and Big Water rods, or is it just a marketing ploy? Shakespeare's website doesn't really explain the difference between these rods very well. TIA.

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I'm interested in the answer to this question also. Thanks for asking it.

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    For the money you can't beat the Catfish Ugly Stick. Check your Wally World they have them for around 35-40.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The tiger rod is an awesome rod, the medium heavy is awfull stiff..So if you want a combination flathead channel rod I would go with the ugly stik tiger medium action...The ugly stik catfish rods are good also.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    The Ugly Stik Tiger (the orange rods) are alot stronger than the standard Ugly Stik (the regular black rods) and the Big Water Rods are in the middle. The Ugly Cat (the white rods) is a good rod to, I have a dozen of them myself but for the size of that Baitrunner I would go with a Big Water Rod. Only because the Tiger rods aren't long enough for the to be as effective as the reel can be.

Thats just my two cent and I'm sure some people won't agree with me.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree w/ the prev two posts, those Tiger Rods are nice or so they seem.

7. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    The Ugly Cat Rod or the Tiger Stik are great rods. The Big water is great in the longer lengths for shore fishing. You can put alot of line out there with the longer rods. But any of these rods are a good choice.

8. seaswirl

seaswirl New Member

State:
    Pa.
    well i have the 6500 BR on a 10ft ugly stik, since that is a really big reel!! i have the 4500BR on a Penn Slammer rod, that has to be my favorite set up!! i just bought a 3500BR which i am debating what rod to use, i want something light but strong!! im thinking a ST. CROIX??? there is a big difference between the ugly stik rods, i have many of them, and i like the Intercoatal series(blue wrap) they are very strong!!

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    topjimmy the 7' cat model of the ugly stik is a nice rod for channels smaller flats but don't think its made for the big flats but I'm not sure about the 8' mod and I also think the tip is to stiff for live bait on the all of the tigers and over kill for most channels. I to just got a 6501 C3 and put it on a fenwick Pacificstick that I paid $50 for http://www.fenwickfishing.com/custom/product_display.cfm?p_material_nbr_key=1026266 I think just by looking at it Its may be one of the best all around rods made for catfishing the fell of the rod is great has a x-strong back bone with with super lite tip. Can't wait tell I can hit the water with it

also topjimmy see that your from AZ going to be having a gathering at the colorrado river in april be nice to c ya there, check it out in the AZ talk section

10. tnmoparman

tnmoparman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I like the 7' MH ugly stick catfish rod. I also hear good things about the Tiger rod.