Which type of sinker works best for OH river flathead fishing.

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by TheRiverRat, Feb 24, 2009.

1. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Which type of sinker do you think works for flathead fishing live bait in the Ohio River ?? What weight to use??And where is the best place to buy them??......RAT

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Rat the biggest sinker mold I have is six ounces so that is what I use but if there is current or the bait is big you got to double them up. If I double them I tie them to a swivel and run the line going to the hook to it so the bait can run around a bit.

3. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm not too much of an expert on this, but I'll give it a crack.... I use a lot of heavy bank sinkers, and it's more of a personal preference the way I see it, but my sinkers run from 2-8 ounces, 2 being for tiny/cut bait in decent current, 8 being more for the extreme, but I've heard of people using weights bigger, and with the no roll sinkers it seems like you can use less weight at times to get the same result of a big bank sinker, but I haven't really used much of them, so I wouldn't be able to give you an extremely accurate account on those, but the way I see it is you should jump around and experiment a bit and find out what works best for you, because in the end all you're really looking for is something to hold your bait down that you can use comfortably. As for were to get them, there's a few good shops in the list of shops on the boc page that I know sell lead, and I'm sure if you ask the right people you can probably get some from a few of the brothers here, or they can point you into the right direction.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I really like the 6 oz flat bank sinker. I make my own as hardly no one stocks them

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    3 to 6 ounce egg sinkers myself enough to keep the bait moving freely but enough to keep from moving rick

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use no roll,bank and flat bank sinkers.2 to 5 oz depending on the current.I quit using egg sinkers in rivers years ago.

7. Capt.mike jr

Capt.mike jr New Member

State:
    ohio
    I only use bank sinkers when im drifting for blues then the weight depends on how fast the current and wind is blowing to keep your bait straight down i use 5oz flat sinkers and bigger when i cast out towards the center of the river to to a few holes because its not to smart to drop anchor in the center of the river:0a23:and we use alot of 3oz-6oz round sinkers depending on the speed of the current butt when we use bobbers at night we only use round sinkers and have caught almost 200 cats in 1 night doing this with 4 guys try fishing around barges that bring in corn or dry feed on them it can get very crazy good luck