Which type of reel.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Louie, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Louie

Louie New Member

State:
    Lewisburg, PA
    Baitcaster or Spinning ? Besides the obvious physical features it seems that most lean toward the baitcaster type reels. Is there a main reason for this ? I am looking to start changing my tackle over to catfish type setups and want to get off on the right foot. I am not really targeting the big fish only, but there is always chance in the river I fish to hook one so I want to be ready. Can anyone suggest a good starter type Cat reel. Walmart has a few decent 5000 and 6000 or should I look elsewhere.

Thanks,
    Louie

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Louie I use one baicaster a tidewater with a ugly stick cat rod, two open face shakespeare reels with matching shakespeare poles and an h2o open face reel and rod combo. I lean towards the open face reels myself. Never had a problem getting in some pretty decent size cats on them. The h20 rod and reel is my nicest setup right now. It all is in personal preference, usualy a baitcaster has a clicker on it, not alot of the open face reels do.Also the three open face reels all use 50lb spider wire , the baitcaster has 25lb mono line, trying to find a line that works best on it.:cool2:

3. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Dave,
    Welcome to the Boc. Also about the reels, I personally use the baitcasters. I have three Garcia 6000's and a Penn 230 GTO All have landed me some bigger cats. I think its just a matter of personal prefference as to which one you like best. Id say you wont go wrong with either spinning or casting reels, both work well. rspd507

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Line capacity is the main reason why people use baitcasters. To get the same amount of line capacity on a spinning reel the reel is going to be big. Also the drag system is better on the baitcasters.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Dave welcome to the BOC!, I use baitcasters they are the best to use if you is going to fish for decent size cats, even some people have good sucess using heavy duty saltwater spinning reels.

6. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i perfer baitcasters because of the bail, looks to be a week point. ive seen big fish bend a bail enough that it looked like it was gonna let go one way or another. a baitcaster the spool turns and the line goes on it no middle man. i also think it is eiser to slow your cast for better acuracy with a baitcaster, also flinging big weights with a spinning reel :cross: not comfortable. other good reasons have been said too. a 6000 is a good starter reel and is good for alot of situations, however size does matter if youre going after bigger fish or in stronger current their are alot of good options in different price ranges.

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think the abu garcia 6000 from walmart is a pretty good reel for the money. i have had one for almost 3 years and still works good to this day. either way you go i would recomend a abu garcia reel.

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I have 2 of the wally world 6000. One I bought 3 years ago and it works great. The other I caught out of the lake about a year ago. I took it apart and cleaned and oiled it well and it also works great still.
    Chip

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The 40-lb flat in my avitar was caught on a 6000 from walmart...They are fine reels.

10. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    With the quality of reels nowadays, get what you are most comfortable with. Ain't no use trying to use a reel that you're not comfortable with, that'll only turn you off.
    As for me, I use Okuma EB-50s(S), Abu 6500s(BC) and Abu 7000s(BC) and I feel confident that my reels would be able to handle any fish, at the lakes I go to.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use spinning reels just as a matter of prefernce. The fish in my avatar (38 1/2#) was caught on a bottom line Okuma.

12. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    I use spinning, I use an old okuma with 50lb spiderwire on a 12ft surf rod... i have no problems with this set up

13. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    What ever your most comfortabe with just remember when it comes to reels you get what you pay for. So how much reel do you need ? JMO but @ $75.00 is the starting point and you can go and spend as much as you want.

14. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Dave I sarted out with spinning, years later my oldest son introduced me to baitcasters. They have come a long way with both. I use bait casters the most, but if I want to have alot of fun I get my spinning rods and reels out. You can,t go wrong with either one of them these days, like someone else said in a earlier posting...

15. nightfisher-07

nightfisher-07 New Member

State:
    PA
    i personally have abu's on all my cat rods, never let me done. my fishing buddy uses spinning reels and loves them. either way you cant go wrong

16. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Dave,
    First Id like to welcome you to the BOC family. Id have to say the perfect starter combo would be a Sweden made Garcia 6000 on a Berkley Big Game M/H rod. Both can be bought at Wal-Mart for $70.00 total. Just watch the Walmart Abu reels because most of them are China made with plastic level winds on them. Would not reccommend these. rspd507

17. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    The quality of all types of reels has become generally wonderful and whichever way you are used to will be just fine. Research the reels in the price range you can afford and pick what you feel (and hear on the forum) is going to be best. One word of warning - if you want to drift fish along/down drops, the baitcaster will work best because of the control you have of the depth one handed. A spinning reel is much harder to work in that situation. Good Fishing!

18. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC. Baitcasters for me, it seems they feel they have more power - easier to reel in for the most part father casting distance. However I do use spinning 12' with heavy weight for a longer distance cast during winter months with low water conditions.

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I don't know what you are use to,but with a prize fish on is a bad time & place to learn gear.I think the type of gear that you are familiar with and LIKE is the best to go up with.Zebco 33's,808's and 888's are the good easy starting reels that I am familiar with for folks just starting fishing along with the highly skilled and experienced fishermen and will have their places for use after 50 years of fishing and 50 different kinds of rigs.I am just saying this as a good example.

I do not believe that their is a BEST reel or rod for everyone.If their was,you would not have to pick.There would only be one to choose from.We are all different,with different bodies,skills,coordination,ability's and builds.

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

20. bigtater

bigtater New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I use the 6500c3 i got mine on clearance from wally world for 40 bucks. I bought the reel for catfishing but havent had a chance to use it yet for cats however i took it to grand isle and landed a large number of bullreds from 20-35lbs and never had a problem.