Which Turkey blind should I buy?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by beeheck, Feb 2, 2006.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I bought a "doghouse" turkey blind and the material is shiny as all get out. Had a lot of turkeys start in last year and then spook at about 60 yards. I checked out my blind from a distance and it looked like a mirror out there in the woods. It's made out of "durashell" material and what I need to know is a cheap blind that isn't made out of reflective material. I think all the blinds made by Ameristep are made of "durashell" and would be shiny. I'm not knocking Ameristep blinds per say but you would think they would test their blinds and find out reflective material just isn't what the turkey ordered. I want to stay in the $100.00 range or a little more but I don't use it enough to warrant the $300.00+ good ones. All I want is enough room to pull back a bow, blackout interior and made out of no shine material. I see a lot of them in the hunting mags in my price range but I don't know how shiny or unshiny they are without seeing them. Is polyester shiny? I see several made out of a blend of polyester. I live in a small town so they don't have a good hunting store to see them so will have to trust others who are using one that works.

2. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I have the Double Bull TS and it works great for turkeys. I have had turkeys come right up in the open with this blind. It's great!!

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I would love to buy a double bull blind, but I can't justifiy the price of it to myself when I would only be using it a couple weeks out of the year. I'm too cheap, I guess. Thanks for the input, may have to break down and go for it.

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Yes, it does cost more. But have had those other blinds, this one you can shoot though the netting, blends in great and it has 5 windows and goes up in less then 10 seconds. It is made of a canvas and is blackened on the inside. I use it for deer, turkey and when your out in the woods and the wind is whipping and the rain starts you just wish you had one this nice. Just give one a try and you will wonder why I didn't get it first.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I'm already wondering why I didn't buy one first and not have this problem. No I'm trying to get out of it cheap. Still a while until turkey season, I'll have to do some fast double talking to the boss.

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Jess, I've done the paint thing and it worked great until I tried to close up the blind by bending and twisting it to make it fit in its back pack holder. The paint isn't sticky but it doesn't slide on other surfaces painted so it kind of goes so far in the fold and then jambs. I did get it folded up but where I was doing this, on the garage floor, it scuffed the paint off and I still have shine. I painted it first with a dusting and it shined right through, I painted it like a all get out and now I have the folding problem along with the scuffing problem. I got a message about possibly boiling leaves and soaking it in the tannic acid which is black but I don't know if it will stick to the durashell fabric. It has not cotton in it, durashell is just another word for shiny nylon, the stuff ought to be outlawed. I think I'm going with the mesh over the top type idea, I like the cover break up and the no shine should be OK. Wish I had an extra $300.00 for a double bull, maybe tomorrow after the lottery. I'll try to post a before and after pic( if I can), should be good for a couple laughs!

7. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    save save & save then get what you want, It will last for years and you will never be satisafied with lesser equiptment.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have 3 doghouse blinds with the shoot through netting and blackened interior. I actually had a buck come up and look right at me. I could have stabbed him with the arrow. I love the light weight and ease of set up. I have found them to be a little short. BE sure to practice kneeling shots or get a short swivel stool. I have found one solution tho. Take strawbales and build a foundation. the 12-18" you gain really makes shooting a bow easier from a sitting position. I also recommend cutting cedar/pine boughs and adding them to the blind. THe fresh cuts add cover sent and really aid in making it blend in.

9. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Good ideas all, thanks for the input. I think my next attempt will be with the black walnuts and coloring it that way. I have already started the save, save idea just in case nothing else works... problems is I want, want, want.

10. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    kspor,
    do you have the doghouse with the durashell fabric? The older ones have more of a cotton material and it doesn't spook game. My brother in law has one with that fabric and he likes his just fine and turkeys will walk right up to him. The one I have reflects light so bad that in the field it is pitiful. When I went out 50 yards from my blind and looked at it you couldn't even tell what it was it just shined so bright it looked like an alien space ship had landed. I don't blame the critters for spooking, I'm not sure I would of walked up on it if I didn't know what it was. I see a lot of blinds made with poly/cotton blend but had one of the retailers tell me that it was shiny also. He said that the manufacturers were more interested in being able to say it is rain proof rather than let it leak and not spook game.

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have both types. I have an old one that does not have the black interior. Believe it or not I had an OLD buck stick his head inside and say hello. I have never had a problem with them being shiny. I'm not sure I would use black walnut juice. It may really darken the whole thing. I like to use dust and native vegetation. Some Johnsongrass, tall fescue, and what ever brush tossed on and around seems to work fine. I have had coons paw at the sides thinking I am some new bush they can den up in.

12. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I must need to shower more than once a day. I just got off line and bought a Yukon blind that I think is going to work great and the price was right. Found it by chance and the price was well under $100.00. 60" X 60" X 70" tall. I like the extra 10" of height to shoot my bow as I'm kind of tall and in my doghouse I was always hitting the roof with my bow. I even hit the sides when I'm pulling back and that's if I pull back kitty-corner to get a little additional room. Now need a bull tri-pod stool that allows each leg to adjust for height individually so you can sit level on a hill and I'll be ready to spend some time hunting. Know anyone who wants to buy a doghouse blind? Just like new, shiny!lol

13. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Keep an eye on ebay for a double bull T2. This is their older model blind, has black interior, big shoot through front window, and isn't shiny. You should be able to pick up a used one for a 100 or a little over. Boog

14. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I bought a blind, but I'm going to look into that Ebay thing they just might have "it".lol Thanks

15. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    don't buy a blind, use cut down cedar trees and stack them up in a semi square, and it works great and last for years. On the birds start putting nests in them they will be all natural and nothing can tell the differance.

16. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I love those Double Bulls, I hunted out of one of my buddies dont remember the model but man those things are nice. Gotta save me up a little money so I can get me one of those. Those things are sweeeeeeet!!

17. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello,
    First time I hunted out of a blind was in my buddies Double Bull T2 and fell in love with it. Ended up buying a Double Bull archery T5 Prostaffer. I have had it for 2 years now. The guy who owned it before me had it for 5 years and it looks and works as new. It is the USA made version with the black interior. It also has the zip up water fowl window on top, that once you have one, you wouldnt want to be without. Great for stretching and just viewing around. I also grab a couple pine branchs and throw inside for scent. I have had hen turkeys nesting along side of it not knowing I was sitting in it. It has been used for Turkey, Deer, ice fishing and even the grandkids camping in it. I looked at many different brands of blinds but I am hands down grateful I got the Double Bull.

Tight Lines
    Danny J

PS. And if any of you Double Bull guys read this email me for my address so you will know where to send me a free gift. Sorta like that trick lookin bow stand.