Which to choose?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisherman94580, Mar 13, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm thinking about purchasing a penn reel or a shakespeare tidewater baitcaster reel. The penn's im looking at is the 220 gto, and the 209M. I fish rivers 70% of the time, and target fish up to 50 lbs. What would you guys recommend I get? Thanks

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    out of those definitaly the 220gto!! the 209 has a really slow retrieve and the tidewater i hear is built cheep and dosent last

3. bigkittyhunter

bigkittyhunter New Member

State:
    illinois
    probebly go with the gto, although the tide water is a good reel we use it trolling on lake michigan for salmon.

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    go with the gto man!!!!i had 2 tw's and they both screwed up on me.

5. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    GTO hands down i have had one tw and it failed miserably at a critical time the main drive gear had the teeth sheer off when i was fighting what i guessed by the peek i got a 13-18 pound channel. :angry:

6. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    my brother just bought a new tide water and it seems to be built alittle tougher than last years model he has used them for a couple years now and never had any troubles with them as for me i am an abu man i really don't have an opinion on the penn reels because i have never used them but i was reading all the tide water bashing and thought i would say to check out the new models

7. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The 220 gti will cast better but the 209 is a very tough reel and needs little to keep it working properly.You will really like the slow retrieve of the 209 if you get a big fish on
    Jake

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    220 for overall casting and fish handling, 209 for ability to handle big fish and price, and Tidewater for a future trotline weight. Go with quality, get a Penn or Abu. Its worth the few extra dollars.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    There is nothing wrong with the Tidewater's, but they can not compare to the Penn reels. If you want a good inexpenive reel the Tidewater is the way to go, I have several and never had a problem, I have 2 Penn 209 reels and they are awesome on big fish. Some will say that they don't cast well but I cast them as far as a new Abu 7000 I have, the slow retrieve is because of the gearing, they are like having a winch on a rod. As with anything take care of em and clean em once in a while and they will last a long time.