Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right,
Im tired of losing my whole rig in the rocks. Currently i fish egg sinkers on a Carolina rig type setup. Im going to go to a sinker slide and some type of sinker on a 10 lb. dropper loop. Was thinking about bank sinker or even a flat bank sinker mold.

Thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
191 Posts
You could possibly get away with the flat sinkers based on if they fall on top of a rock but if it’s heavy rip rap an there is noticeable algae they could slide in between rocks an get lodged like a anchor honestly my choice in something like this is if you can find small dragging sinkers an use a 3 way rig or tie them up as a slide with a bumper to the swivel to me that would be your best bet.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Are you fishing lakes or rivers? In still water try going as light as possible, that'll help with the wedging some. In rivers I like something with flat sides (no-roll, flat bank, or pyramid) and heavy enough to hold when it touches bottom. A sinker running in the current will always find the snags.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
The big 4 have their gates closed for now. Butla has a limb hung in a gate and has to wait on Vicksburg, MS to tell them to open to release it.
I fished at Butla spillway yesterday. Lots of rocks showing where we would usually be fishing. I caught a lot of small throw backs. Looked at the rocks, lots of jigs and sinkers stuck around the rocks. I put my rod in the truck, got a bucket and picked up a bunch. Didn't matter the size or style, if it got close to the rocks it was stuck.
Some will be used again and the rest will melt for new ones.

·
Horse-MON
21,877 Posts
Steve Mac makes his own for trolling, Cheap makes his own, for??? ROTF!!
7c52da6dad2fbf39d6de3d937157518f.jpg

Now me, I don't use egg sinkers, like no roll for most river, Miss, fishing , split shot for bream. Now in rip rap we are in a boat and always try to fish STRAIGHT down and still loose a sinker once in a while. Best I can tell you.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,241 Posts
Using 3 way rig.
I use this bendable wire and push it through my no rolls. Longer the wire the better if it's hanging up.

Using dropper loops I will use a lighter line going to the sinker and a small round float to keep my line up out of the rocks.
The original idea was from a guy on here was just bend the wire at the end and when it gets snagged and you pull your line the wire straightens and the sinker falls off but I have found once my wire is bent a few times with a no roll the sinker doesn't come off.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm not so sure there is a sinker that can't get hung up in rocks. Problem being the crevice the the line can get through and the sinker can't. About all I use much any more is those round flat coin shape sinkers. Easy to get as I make my own! Thing I think I like about them is they don't roll on the bottom like the round sinker's can and I have better eye's on them for attaching line that bank sinkers have. Oh, it also helps that they are just abut free, I have a lot f lead ingot's laying around and just found another coffee can of lead wheel weight's a couple days ago!

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah there is no way around them getting stuck in the rocks. The point is to not loose my entire rig. Sinker only. Thats why im going to use the 10lb. mono dropper loop.

Im gona pour my own.
Bank sinker mold is the best fit because it has 2 oz. thru 5 oz.
Id rather use a flat sinker because of river fishing. The flat bank sinker mold starts at 3 oz. which is a little heavy for lake fishing.

Reactions: Keith Mette

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
What size is your main line, 30#? Using a 2 oz bank sinker. I would put a small float above the hook. A cigar float can be cut into smaller floats. Doesn't need a peg to hold into place. I've got some for bream fishing that a tooth pick will hold the line through the hole. Use 6 or 8# line for the sinker leader.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The Do-it River Sinker Mold comes in a 2,3,4 (oz) model. Do-IT River Sinker Molds

A European pulley rig would work. Check out this video.

This is the basic rig I use, except I tie another swivel and lighter line in-between the sinker and pulley line. This will allow the sinker to break off, if it gets snagged in the rocks. The rest of your rig can then be retrieved and you only have to replace your piece of light line, your Gemini Bent Rig Clip (with bait clip) and your sinker. My setup for 20 pound main line is, a sinker, Gemini Bent Rig Clip, 8-10 pound line (1 foot), #1 swivel, 20 pound pulley line (3 feet), bead, swivel (pulley line placed through one hole, the other hole will be tied to you main line), bead, #1 swivel, 20 pound line (1 foot), and hook of your choice. When you tighten your line after casting, you end up with a 4 feet line from the bottom and a 1 foot dropper with your hook. When the fish is hooked, the sinker rides up to the pulley and is less likely to get snagged on bottom while retrieving your fish. The sinker will only be hanging down the length of the light line that you placed on it (1 foot). This rig will cast very far, if you want it to.

You can make the Gemini Bent Rig Clips yourself or buy them online. I just make my own from 1/16" stainless steel tig wire. Here is a video of making the clips (the bait clip model is made at 4:55 on the video).

All credit for showing how to make your own clips goes to Sandmans Tackle Time. You can buy the tig wire from your local welding supply store. It costs me about $10.00 a pound and that is for 32 - 3 foot long tig rods. You can make a ridiculous amount of clips from this.

I hope this post doesn't confuse you.

·
Registered
582 Posts
These are some Gemini Bent Rig Clips (with bait clip) that I made. They might not be as pretty as Sandmans, but they work good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts