which spinning reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by wd40, Jan 19, 2006.

1. wd40

wd40 New Member

State:
    Az
    I need a new spinning reel. What's your favorite (spinning) reel for channel cats? I would like to run 15 lb. test line. Am looking at a 3500 btr., but would like to here what your favorites are. I posted awhile back about my shimano triton 450 btr. I have talked to a bunch of dealers and shimano but can't locate a spool. So what would you get for smaller cats?
    William

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I guess you need to define what you mean by "smaller cats". I use Rhino reels on M 6' ugly sticks for channels up to 8lbs.

Ray

3. wd40

wd40 New Member

State:
    Az
    Thanks Rainman. Mostly eaters, but should handle cats to 10lbs. They're a front drag system I think. I'll have look at the rhino's
    William

4. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I use a shimano 6500 on a Big cat pole and run either 25 or 30 lb line. I have never had a problem with either item. I have caught alot of smaller cats on this. It is probably overkill on my part for smaller channels but I cross use it for flats as well. Hard to go wrong with a shimano baitrunner. Have you tried looking on ebay for a spool?

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The Okuma baitfeeder spinning reels are also very nice, not as good as the shimanos, but alot cheaper.

6. wd40

wd40 New Member

State:
    Az
    Thanks guys.
    tym2fish, I'm not much for ebay but I've looked and will keep my eyes open . I found spools for 4500a. but one shop and shimano says it won't work on the triton. Had that reel for 19years and worked great for cats and stripers. Hard to mess with success but with all the new gear out there thought I'd see what was working or not working for others. Also want to downsize a bit.
    William

7. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    William I am going by my local tackle store tomorrow and will ask them if they have one or if they can find one for me. If I find out any news I will let you know. This shop has been around for awhile and they have gone out of their way before for me in finding hard to locate items.

8. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    I have Shimano 6500B reel that I really like alot. It is spooled with 20# Big Cat Trilene and I have it on a 9' Glowstick it works really good from the bank.