Which Species Of Catfish Are You Most Passionate about? POLL Question!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catfish_Commando, Sep 2, 2009.

Which Species do you like the best?

1. Flathead Catfish

2. Blue Catfish

3. Channel Catfish

4. I love them all!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    The species of catfish thats gets me the most excited, and I look forward to pursuing the most is the Flathead Catfish.

I just absolutely "love" everything about this species of catfish.

Who couldnt love a face like that? :wink:

Which species gets you fired up the most?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    First thing that comes mind is the channels. but I sure do love chasing the blues. The Flatheads aren't as popular around here geographically, but that is quickly changing.

Bottom line though......If somebody asked me.... " Come on, lets go catfishng". I'm not even going to hesitate and ask for which species. I enjoy fishing for all of them.

Good topic!

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well I luv em all but the Flattey be the dawg(LOL)

4. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    BLUE catfish are the only one for me.

5. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i love all species of catfish but i went wit the blue cat :big_smile:

6. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I do love them all.
    Forn the most part I target channel. I have a lake the is 15 mins away
    that is full of channel catfish.
    I fish there once a week.

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I love them all too :wink:, but I voted blue cat because I catch a lot more and a lot bigger blues.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I've caught more Blues than Flatheads and bigger Blues than Flatheads but Flatheads do it for me...W

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well Iv'e learned something today thanks to our "Commando-in-chief":tounge_out: I thought there was only "Big-Blues" in the water!!:wink::eek:oooh::tounge_out:

10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    GOTTA BE THE FLATTY, IF WE HAD MORE BLUES CLOSE TO ME IT MIGHT BE DIFFERANT THOUGH

11. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    Im with the boss on this 1 :wink::big_smile:

growing up fishin with my parents and neighbors was truely wonderfull ,,

as a little kid mom took me to the ponds and truman chassing channel cats and bullheads and anything else that would bite .

then around 4 or 5 dad started taking me out in the boat with him to run lines and rod and reel fish :big_smile:

I can still remember to this day my first flathead that I caught on the osage river just up from the oar house it was a 17 lber that hit a shad fillet , boy oo boy did he put that zebco 33 to work !!!!!! hee hee

the feeling I had catching my first flathead was awsome and seeing a big smile on my dads face was the best feeling ever !!! I felt like I killed a 20 point buck that day woooo hooooo .

I was hooked for ever on wanting to catch them flatheads for sure after that !!!!!!!!

My best memories as a kid are spending nights on the lake or river fishing with my parents in pursute of them catfish ,, hearing coyotes barking ,,owls hooting,,frogs croaking is the coolest thing to hear at night waiting for that big bite to happen :wink: I still enjoy that even today !!!

MY next best memory catching flatheads would have to be about 15 years ago when I took the wife with me 1 afternoon and we caught 6 flatheads together from 12 to 38 lbs and we even had a double take down and was both reeling in a flathead at the same time talk about exciting:big_smile:
    and yes hers was bigger then mine hee hee and to top it off she also landed a 33 lb blue ,, this all took place in about 2 hours before dark .

then in 2003 on the last day in april i think it was I was lucky enough to go out by myself that night and catch a 35 lb flathead around 3:30 am then around 5 am It happend a nice slow pulldown on the rod
    I set the hook and all heck broke lose drag was a screaming for a solid 5 to 8 seconds :eek:oooh::crazy: OO chitt i told myself this is a good 1 !!!
    he finally slowed down and i was able to turn him back towards the boat for a few cranks then wammo drag screaming again OOO BOY now my hearts really pounding the battle went on for 8 minutes or so im guesing of me gaining a little and the fish taking alot !!!!

finally his head came up behind the boat and i eased him closer and was lucky enough to land him all by myself :big_smile::big_smile: woooo hoooooooo

got home and wieghed the big flathead on 2 different scales 1 showed 84 lbs and the other showed 82 lbs and after 33 hours latter when the conservation agent got with me and we found certified scales it wieghed 77 lbs 8 ounces the missouri state record .

So yes flatheads are very special to me to say the least !!!!!!!
    to me anytime ya catch a flathead either big or small its a great feeling like when ya kill a 12 point buck :big_smile:

they are truely a special fish .....

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My vote went for the big ole blues....gotta love em....

-Jim-

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Flatheads are KING.
    Blues are nice, and taste great, but to me its a bigger accomplishment to catch a big flathead.
    Blues are more willing to bite and are more numerous, which makes them alot of fun, but its not the same as a big ol flat.
    Lot more people chase blues than flatheads. Most likely because its a lot harder to get a big flathead.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This neck of the woods channels are the primary fish. Farm ponds, local small rivers. Mississippi and Lock and Dam are 20 minutes away. Blue and flathead fishing good there but ya need a boat and the time. Got neither so I'll do my thing with channels. Any species of them around here are contaminated, so whatever I might catch I put back anyhow. Mine (channels) come from my farm pond and I know what goes in there. (nothing)

15. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I voted all. When I fish I have rods out for all of them. I'm happy with which ever I get on any trip.

16. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Started catfishing over 60 years ago with my dad and channels and flatties were the ticket. Just introduced to blues on a larger scale this year, but for sheer challenge I've got to go with the elusive flatties. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

17. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Flats all the way!Damn blues stop coming up the Ohio once they get to Cincinnnati,Can,t figure out why they don,t get no further.I don,t know why they want to stay there,they could continue up the river to Pittsburgh and live with a much better football team!:cool2:

18. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I HAVE GO WITH CHANNELS, I DON'T CATCH BLUES BECAUSE THERE ARN'T ANY CLOSE TO ME, FLATS I LIKE ALSO, I DON'T LIKE SITTING ALL NIGHT FOR 1 BITE, I LIKE THE ACTION ON CHANNELS, SOMETIMES WHEN ITS RIGHT I CAN CATCH 20-30 CHANNELS IN ONE OUTING. I GO FISHING TO CATCH FISH AND A SOLID 10LB CHANNEL WILL MAKE MY DAY RWG

19. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    nothing i have ever caught fights like a flat!! and i have fished in florida for four years of my life!!!

20. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I voted blues because thats what we target the most :cool2:. Catching bait is addictive too, especially skip fishing.