Which sinker mold?

Discussion in 'Sinker Making Institute' started by Turtleracer, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Turtleracer

Turtleracer New Member

State:
    Upper So. Cal.
    I need to purchase a mold sinkers but due to limited funds I can only purchase 1 or 2 molds. So I need sugestions on which mold or molds to purchase. My fishing styles are the following areas:

1. lakes
    2. streams both slow and fast moving water (about 7 - 10 knots)
    3. surf (long pole soaking bait)

Need your sugestions.

Thanks
    Craig

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would look at the no role sinker molds in two sizes. Taking in the consideration of the current and distance you need to throw.

3. Turtleracer

Turtleracer New Member

State:
    Upper So. Cal.
    Thanks Mickey, I have been contimplating either the no-roll or the sinker that looks like no-roll sinker but with the loop molded into it. Most likely in the 2,3 and 4 oz. size.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use the no roll bank sinkers in almost all my fishing. The only time I use egg sinkers is when I fish the mud flats in the wind. If you can only get a couple, go buy a few of the different weights and try them. That way you will know what will work where you fish. It took me 20 yrs to collect all my molds.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you don't know for sure what you want, don't buy a mold yet! As you've found out, those buggers are expensive....too expensive to buy a mold that you might like. Before you buy a mold, buy sinkers for a while. Once you've determined what style works for you, and what sizes you need, then you can purchase a mold to make those styles and sizes of sinkers. Purchasing sinkers for a while will also give you a good idea of how much you spend a year on particular styles and sizes. If you aren't spending at least $5-$10 a year for sinkers that can be made by a mold, you really aren't saving by buying that mold.

6. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    When looking for molds don't count out the old Palmer molds. You'll have to add some wood handles but they STILL WORK!!!!!! My bank sinker mold is the old 101.

Fatman

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Well one this on that, is i dont know any body that can only spend $10 on weights!!:wink::wink:I spennd over a hundred heck the last time i bought weights i spent 65 dollars:crazy::crazy::crazy:But i couldnt fins any lead to make my own so i had to buy them:confused2::confused2:but anyways

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Well one good tip to consider is if you or some one you know has a routed you can get a piece of dry-wall and make a mold and if you dont like the dry wall whihc if you make a bunch of hole is pretty productive..and then you can go buy a real mold if the dry-wall isnt satisying...

Hope this helps!!

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    If I had to rely on one style sinker, it would be the no roll design,they cast well and will hold well in current,they will fish lakes just as well as eggs or bank sinkers. Making your own is not something most of us just jumped into overnight,I started out with one sinker mold that only makes 1/2 oz egg sinkers 8 at a time,found a few here and there and bought them on the cheap at yard sales etc.,then started buying a new one here and there,probably 20 years of gathering molds when and where I could to get the set up I have now. Just so you know if you buy new stay with Do-It-Molds,they are about the best out there.the molds that require extras like wire or eyelets are alot slower than the ones you just pull the pin and drop out weights,as your not trying to fit the eyelets onto a hot mold between each pour. no-rolls and egg sinkers are fast to make,in an hour I can drop enough weights from them to get through half a season usually.

10. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I realy like the do-it molds river sinkers with the number 2 brass eye.I use a slider though so you can adjust the weight in seconds without a re-tie.There is a company on ebay that sells new do-it molds for about 10.00 less than most places.The hot mold and the brass eye is no problem for me.I just place the eye on top and push it in place with the spoon I use to clean the top of the lead.
    If you want no rolls go to the a to z tackle shop , you can buy them cheaper than you can pour them.You can actually buy 100 8 ounce sinkers for 45.00.That is 50 pounds of lead , I know lots of places that sells lead for more than that.They have a website as well.