Which Scope Retical do you like and why?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by fishnfool68, Feb 17, 2007.

1. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I would have bought a auto if not for the advice of my brothers.The brotherhood was so helpful in my choosing the Remington 700 I bought,why not ask all of you about a scope for the riffle.Haveing never owned a rifle I'm not sure what retical would be the best to choose.I realize that the scope is as important as the gun it is on,so I'm going to buy a top quality scope,prob a Leupold,or a Nikon.Thier are soooo many reticals to choose from,which do you guys like and why?In hunting conditions which show the best in low light in the woods?Most the places I hunt are pretty wooded so what will stand out the best?I thank you in advance for your response.

2. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Mike;
    I lived in Southeast OK for two years during the last century.:roll_eyes: :wink: :smile2: so I might be of help to ya here.
    I currently live in MO and we have some heavy woods around here too.
    I, and my wife, both use a Leupold Vari-X III with a matte finish in 3.5 x 10 x 50mm power with a standard Duplex Reticle. I think you can still get one in the $500-$600 range in your part of the country.
    The clarity and light transmitting {NOT gathering!} properties are excellent especially when you are out in the first half hour before sunrise and the half hour after sunset {MO rules here yours may have changed since I lived out your way so check to be sure!}
    The power is low enough to use in heavy woods, yet high enough for any reasonable distance you should be shooting at if you get a "Beanfield" shot.
    My wife is extremely nearsighted and she loves her scope as there is enough adjustment to allow for her eyes. Something that many other brands don't have in their lineup!
    If that price range is a bit steep for you then consider a Vari-X II or even a Vari-X I, which come in a good variety of choices too.
    Brother Mike, if you take the time to use the best, accurate load {I don't know if you reload or not} and really get to know your scope and rifle, practice like you should, you will be making shots without thinking about any correction because you will be doing it instinctively, without thinking.:smile2:
    One option I would strongly advise you to fervently eschew is any kind of a range-finding reticle! My reasons? These types of reticles lock you into a certain caliber and bullet weight and style!!:sad2: Not only that, but these types of reticles are often not accurate enough for anything but close in shots! I know there is always the exception and I am sure some of the Brother's and Sister's will tell you they love their range-finder reticles but every rifle is different and will shoot a certain load differently too!
    Altruistically, you just do NOT need them either! Learn the one load for your rifle, sight it in correctly, and practice, Practice, PRACTICE. If you do this, you will be out-shooting the guys that have a range-finder reticle or a range-finder dial, ect!
    You mentioned Nikon scopes, they are good too as is Burris. Buy the Best Quality scope you can, even if it costs more money than the rifle because without an accurate, DEPENDABLE scope it won't make any difference how accurate your rifle is!
    I've always given the above advice to my clients and customers and it's not failed me yet!
    If I can help you in any way should you have other questions about your rifle, scope, loads, maintenance, ect, please do not hesitate to contact me via a PM. If needed, I will send you my phone number or you can give me yours and we can talk on my quarter and I will be happy to answer all of your questions to the best of my ability!:smile2:
    That's one of the reasons why I make my advice services free to BOC members so that I can give a little back from all of those that have helped me over the years!
    While I don't know everything there is to know, I do know whom to contact to get the right answers to any of your questions you may have about firearms.
    Hope this helps you. Please don't hesitate to contact me should you need any other assistance or professional firearms advice! :smile2:
    Fraternally and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like the duplex type myself .as for brand? Im a tightwad Tasco works well for me been using them for 20 years