Which rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by cathouse, May 21, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Ok folks clearing out unused equipment rods reel etc. looking for a channel cat combo , the choices are original cat maxx rod mh 7 1/2 ft. rated to 20 lb. line and 2oz. weight(can it cast more like maybe 4oz. if needed) , or ugly stick catfish 7ft. rated to 3oz. and 30 lb. line really not much need for live bait casting as we do quite well here with other bait options , but may need to still occassionally throw 4oz. to hold bottom in the river . I would be using any one of my penn reels so a limber tip is not as needed due to the bait clicker feature . would be using 65# PP with at minimum a 20-25 lb. shock leader . At present both are the same price . Kind of like the added length of the cat maxx .

2. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    cant go wrong either way really IMO:roll_eyes:

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Either would be a good rod.

4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hey guys and gals im needing help on this one , thanks to the brothers that have already posted . But i need a little bit more to go on so not to make a bad choice . My main concern is will either of these rods handle the occassional 4oz. of weight plus bait when the river calls for it .

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Go with the Ugly Stick and change your action to Med/ Hvy. This should give you the answer.:big_smile:

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    if it feels good in your hands it will work I have two buddy that only use zebco 33's and both had 30lb cats off of them.

7. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Maybe im not clear on my question what i need to know is if the cat maxx or the ugly stick cat rod in mh could handle the occassional need for 4oz. of weight and my bait , again no need for light tips but back bone is not an option i'm willing to pass on . I'm almost thinking that the cat maxx with the stiffer tip might be my beat option so i guess the the only question remaining is will the 7'6" cat maxx rated to 20lb. line and 2oz. weight handle the extra 2oz. of weight when needed with the less limber tip , and if the stiffer tip cast the smaller weight like the 2oz. it's rated for reasonably well . Probably would never need much heavier than the rated 20lb. line the rod is rated for on this particular river .

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    i have some members here with thw cat maxx M/H with 40# line that fish 20 oz sinkers so you 4 oz isn't as big as our bait we fish

9. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Tim theses are the type of answers i was looking for i really needed to know if the mh 7 1/2 footer would handle the weight , although it's only rated to 2oz. Now i feel a little better about the direction i was heading . Like i said i think the soft tip on the ugly might be a little mushy on those days the river is flowing good and that extra ounce or two is needed . I dont know if i would like the ugly with that much weight and the current shore fishing .

10. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I have 3 ugly stix and love em. Cant go wrong with them tiger rods.

11. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Flint i have mh tigers would never part with them . all with penn reels
    1. MH Tiger 140 squidder 30 lb. mono
    2. MH Tiger jigmaster 500 40 lb. mono
    3. MH Tiger penn 320 will be putting 80 lb. PP
    4. M big cat penn 209 65 lb. PP (this is the rod that i'll be taking out of
    commission) . There not blank through design and that just don't sit well with me.

This is whats left of my catfish arsenal as far as combos still have more
    than a few penns that need mates .

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I fish the Mississippi River with 2 M/H Tiger rods and it has plenty of current.. I use 8 to 10 oz of lead plus whole shad and don't have any problem with the poles.. I like the action of the tips, it lets you know when the smaller fish are eating all your bait..

13. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    yeah that rod can handle the weight no problem, however i am curious why so much weight are u in heavy current? or just like a lil extra weight on it.

14. Bob R

Bob R New Member

State:
    Woodbridge, VA
    I have 2 of the m/h catmaxx rods and both fish well and will handle alot of sinker weight. the only probem I have with them is that the guides are flimsy and bend over with the slightest bump.

15. Harleycat

Harleycat Member

State:
    INDIANA
    go with the catmax its a better choice for the heavy weight i owe both the ugly will be too flimsy good luck

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    sombody asked that question about the ugly cat so i started using mine more. abu 6500 65#pp 5oz no-roll alot of bait river up 5ft does just as good as the rest, biggest fish on it 45# blue.

17. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    This is more of an informative post , i went with a ugly cat rod 7ft. MH mated with my penn peerless 9 . The first thing i noticed was how much lighter this was than my tiger(yellow)MH , i know they are to toatally different animals but for my intended use this is a sweet rig light weight and strong and well balanced spooled with 25# sufix siege for now this is tough abrasion resistant line by the way i am very pleased with it so far more on that after more usage and time . This combo just feels right ,while i have not cuaght a channel on it yet i did hook up with a black drum on thr river that had bad intensions and a couple of carp with shoulders LOL and this combo handled very well . the peerless is a tad slow but plenty of power when we where done playing with the fish and the drag was more than enough . I was using around 4-5 ounces i would imagine , weight and bait . the rod never seemed over stressed and just kept pulling with a nice loaded arc . I also noticed that even at the fullest load on the rod the line did not come in contact with the blank (good thing) i am very pleased and do strongly recommend this rod the reel is your choice obviously but please do not over look this little giant by penn great combo for your lighter fishing if you have that niche to fill .