Which rod would work best

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by camochris2, Sep 20, 2007.

1. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i am looking for a 7 to 7'6 foot rod to fish the missour river and use lots of whight i use any where from 2oz to 12 oz whights and fish for big blues and flathead was just wating your all thoughts thanks

2. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Chris check out the surge rods at the catfish connection, look at the ratings. I personally have not use one but others have talked highly of them. Check with Randy also on here I'm sure he can custom build anything you want, look at the sponsors on here .Good luck brother!!:cool2:

3. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I would recommend checking out the BOC sponsors I've heard alot of good things about their custom rods or check out a Surge or Jim Moyer rod I don't have a Surge but I've heard alot of good things about them, I do have a Jim Moyer and I like it, it's also the rod I caught the fish on my avatar with. I hope this helps.

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    theirs a good reason why alot on here say tigers are the best too.

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There are alot of good rods out there! Depends on your price range! The shakespear ugly stik catfish series(1-piece) mh are GREAT rods for the price, I have 6 Surge rods(I originally started with half of the standard "trigger" surges and the other half the "elite" rods) The trigger standard surges I had break for NO reason between the last eye and the tip, like toothpicks (maybe a bad batch) BUT the Surge Elites are "flawless" so far! (so now I only have 1 standard Surge left and all others are Elites) I have also replaced the 2 Quantom big cat mh rods that I had with 2 NEW "big cats", and time will tell on these, but they seem WELL built! I also know some people with the Shakespear TIGER rods and swear by them! Just shop around and choose what suits your style the best!:big_smile: There's a rod out there for everyone!

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
  7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    the perfect rod may be the ugly stik big water boat 8' heavy action rated at 40-80#line 3-12oz lure

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Chris;
    For the size of the fish your looking for and the weights your wanting to throw I would advise you to start out like I did with a Shakespeare 8' Big Water Ugly Stik. It's a 2 pc Rod and it WILL handle up to 16 oz's if your careful with your swing, although it's only rated to 12 oz and it's a heavy action. I say "careful" with your swing but you already know that if you have been throwing 8 to 12 oz loads.
    This rod runs around the $55 to $65 range but I bought my second one at a close out sale for $35.00. Actually I bought two of them but gave one away to a young friend of mine that is now a BOC member in his own right. :big_smile:
    If your looking for a longer rod Shakespeare makes, what looks to me to be the same action and weight range but in a 12' length. I've not tried that one yet but I will be buying one next month. Cabela's sells this one for, I believe, $65 or so.
    These are both Spinning Rods but if your looking for Bait Casting Rods the equivalent rods are also made by Shakespeare and I believe, a heavier Bait Casting Rod is available that is 12' long, handles something like up to 24 oz's of weight and runs in the $70 to $75 range.
    I have a $400 custom rod but if I hook up a "BIGGUNN" of 60#+ or even a 100# Blue with a Shakespeare Rod I would NOT feel under-gunned and would figure that I had just as much chance of landing that "Trophy" with the Shakespeare Rod as I did with my custom rod.
    If I may be of further assistance please don't hesitate to send me a PM and I will do my best to help you out.
    Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]
    If you

9. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    i can make a anything you want and to tell you the truth i can make it for the price of some of these rods members keep talking about and........... its done your way with your colors not anyway they see fit
    www.blackandbluetackle.com

10. Capt. Hugh

Capt. Hugh New Member

State:
    VA
    I use rods that Randy made for my guide service, they take alot of abuse, my brother caught a 89lb. blue on one, they hold up great and he can make your rod just like you want it for a good price Capt. Hugh

11. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Definitely the best looking rods I've ever seen!!!! Looking in the near future of doing some business with you Randy.:cool2:

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    For a starter rod off the rack you cannot beat an Ugly-stik Tiger. One piece 7ft rod in heavy action. I own E-cat #4's and moyer boss rods. But the next rods I buy will be tigers. After seeing them used by a few guys this year.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Brandon, what's the model # off of those one piece BWB rods? I'm loving the Tigers (caught a 35, 44, 45, and 70 on them this year on the MO river) but I wouldn't mind something with a little heavier tip for heavy current applications. I'm starting to get that kind of sickness where I think I need lake (drifting) rods, low/medium current river rods, and outside channel bend, current screaming by rods:smile2:

I like the flex on the Tigers, little more forgiving with a big fish at the side of the boat, they'll handle the big ones, but you can still feel something under 20# on them and it's fun. Also, I think they cast a little further than the same length rod without the flex since the limber tip on the Tigers gives me more "spring" to get a bait out further.

Just my opinion, but I think the M/H Tigers will take any fish swimming in the MO river.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
  15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks Brandon! Shakespeare makes their rods in so many models that the model #is the only way I can be sure I'm getting the same one that I want when I'm looking on line. Do you run braid? I run PowePro and was wondering if the eye inserts hold up to the braid. Good Luck!

Branden

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    nope ive been using 40# mono but id asume pp would be ok, i ve used pp on a few different rods for a couple years and havent had any problems.
    the 7' bwb seems about the same as the mh tiger the 8' bwb has a whole different flex to it, so dont hate me if you get it and dont like it but i think i like the action on the 8' bwb better.

17. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Without knowing the reel you wish to use,line specs and terminal tackle preferred.Whether you boat,bank or combo fish.The distance you wish to cast,if any.I would have no idea what to recommend,nor would I think that a fisherman,professional custom rod builder or knowing salesman be in any better shape to help without this knowledge.Seems as if I am wrong.I have found the responses very interesting,informative and amazing in many ways.Seems that I have missed a lot in 50+ years of fishing.This appears to be one of them.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well peewee from what he said he wants 7-7.5' rod to fish the missouri with 12oz weight. ive fished the mo and know their are world record blues & flats swimming there and i know their is alot of current sooo i know hes gonna need a heavy duty rod that can catch a monster in current. i own a 7' mh tiger and a 8' h bwb that i am verry pleased with the way they perform in conditions he described so i recommended them, they may not be the best but they are the best ive found.

19. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Wasn't singling anyone out one way or the other.I made a post on what I see posted quite regularly and the various responses to them.Were he to fish my spot that I had fished daily for 50 years,I see no way to help to the fullest without the knowledge I mentioned.I think it is great that each and everyone responded.I mentioned what I did because I have found that what works wonders for one can be ill advised for another.I mentioned the other things I did as the most helpful knowledge for me to help someone.He may need to cast 24 oz.total with bait for 100 yards for all we know.I mentioned the lack of pertinent info. for the best help in my opinion.No offense was meant.If you go back on the Fishing Rod Review,you will see that the most often best advice is ones personal preference without much regard for the individual or the situation.I judged no one.You may know everything that I mentioned or you may consider it irreverent.I did not question anyones post.I did express my thoughts.Helping each other is what the BOC is about.I was hoping that my post was helpful.I am merely suggesting that by acquiring the most information possible about anything leads to the best decisions.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Peewee, you fail to realize that most that replied are fishing almost the same exact conditons, and can make better than an "educated guess".