Which rig is best

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by georgiamike, Sep 15, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have been fishing at the Lake Lewisville barge and when I drop straight down (as stated in an eariler post) I have problems staying away from the bream. I use chicken livers and this weekend plan on using some cut bream and shad as well (hoping they wont eat thier own kind). If I cast out to get away from the bream, then I get alot of snags. I have been using the following: slip wieght above a swivel with about an 18" leader to my bait. What would you guys & gals suggest? I was thinking of going to a T or Y swivel rig.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I use an egg sinker above a barrel swivel, and the use about a 12 to to 16 inch leader, then i have an 8/0 gamakatsu J hook tied to the leader.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If your fishing straight down, put the sinker on the bottom, hooks above. If your casting, and your line is at a slant, you can either fish it as stated above or by using a slip sinker. One way to fish an area with snags is to put a float about a foot above your top hook. When you throw it out, the line is at a slant but the hooks are in a straight position. Perch will eat just about anything. You just have to hope a cat will get it before the perch. LOL

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    In a place like that if you are fishing straight down I would use all cutbait or live bait. If your snagging alot then I use a rig kinda like a three way. Tie your hook (4/0 or larger) to the end of your line. Then tie on a leader to the hooks eye, the leader should be 24". On the other end of the leader tie on a heavy bank or bell sinker. Cast out to the edge of those snags, when the sinker hits bottom. Remove all the slack in the line. This suspends the bait off bottom and keeps it stationary. The leader for the sinker needs to be a lighter test lb than your main line. when the sinker hangs up the leader breaks, you retrieve your hook and tie on a new sinker.
    If there are that many bream in that area and there are cats in the area then I would use those bream for bait (if they are the right size). You could also use a slipbobber rig and float your bait over the snags just down low enough to not get snagged. There's a good artticle in the BOC library about slip float fishing. Good luck man.

5. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like that idea of a hook then leader to a weight. think i will use split shots so if they snag they will pull off. What about using a T swivel with the bait above the weight? i tried using a slip float last weekend but the water was a little rough, the float moved and end result was thats right you guessed it A SNAG!

6. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Try the pasternost rig ,hook on top ,per the library ,I have been having alot of luck with it as far as snaggs go .

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

8. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    On my last trip i tried the following

8lb test line, Wieght tied on the bottom of the line, then about a foot up tied a 6 inch leader of 20lb with a treble hook on it.

I was dropping the line straight down. The problem is that almost everytime i brought the line in, especially after a strike, the hook was tangled around the main line. This weekend I am going to be fishing from the bank and would like to use a rig with two hooks, one with treble spring hook for dough bait and the other with a single with livers. I use pantyhose around my liver so staying on is not a problem.

Questions:

1. How should i rig this up as to avoid tangles, would you advise tying the hooks directly to the main line with the wieght at the bottom?
    2. Should I use a treble hook on the liver even tho I dont have a problem with losing my bait? What are the advantages/disadvantages of using a treble instead of a single?