Which reel?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisherman94580, Mar 31, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just bought a quantum big cat rod m/h action mainly for river fishing. Do you think an abu 6500 black cat will work fine on that rod, I wont be targeting anything over 50 lbs. One more thing, does braided line or mono work best for baitcasting reels? Thanks in advance

2. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu garcia 6500 is what i would pair it up with and also if you want to cast far then i would go with mono i use mono and works excellent i would spool it with 20 pound big game as long as your drag is set you should be able to pull in any cat in the river hope this helps you

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ditto that quote. Not much to add to that.

4. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have recently ordered one of the 6500 black cats.its an amazing reel and awsome lookin.i havent caught anything big on it yet but the abu 6600 c3 is a good real to i have caught several 30lb+ flatheads on the ones i have.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think them 6500 Black Cat is a good reel.

6. Shark

Shark Member

State:
    North Carolina
    6500 you will love

7. Knackman

Knackman New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I like my 6500 c3 better than my 6500 c4

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I would go with an Abu 6500c3, Im not familiar with the black cat and I prefer mono. over braid.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    not sure about the baitcast for casting distance but I know on spinning reels casting is much better with braid.

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bank fish with a 6500CS Pro Rocket and a 7000iCS Pro Rocket both on 12' Okuma surf rods. I have tried to cast the 50# power pro with little success. I would recommend using mono for casting if distance is your main objective. I would use a braided line if fishing from a boat. The mono I use is Breakaway. This line is made for distance casting. The 20lb has the diameter of 12lb and the 25 has the diameter of 17lb. I use the 25lb on both the 6500 and 7000 and they cast great. I usually cast 6oz and bait with no problem. Good luck.