Which reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cab9379, Jun 28, 2006.

1. cab9379

cab9379 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay i will be pretty blunt here I want a reel I can go and catch the biggest flatheads on and blues. What do you recomend and what pound line. 100.00 to 200.00 dollar range.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

bait caster are spinning reel?

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Abu Garcia big game 10000

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

GESH :lol:

maybe a 7000 would suffice lol
    i got 50lb line but that depends on how big the fish actually are and what u are fishing in

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Little old abu garcia 5000 is sufficient to handle any catfish. Question is... is the guy holding it capable of landing the fish.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Abu 7000, penn 310 gti, tidewater 20 0r 30L

7. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    In the price range your talking about youve got alot of choices,get the best that you can afford. Alot of guys here live and die with Abu Garcia,i personally find them to be cheaply made(The Abu Record is a excellent reel and dosent apply to the afore mentioned statement). I have 2 Shimano Calcutta's,and 1 Quantum Cabo 30 PTs, excellent reels with a much better drag than the typical Garcia,the fit and finish is alot better than the typical Garcia. You will get what you pay for!

8. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    get a abu 6500 c3 and get a good rod and put about 50.00 back into your pocket. no need to spend 200.00 dollars on a reel. when u can spend 70.00 and 60.00 for a rod. that has been getting the job done for almost all boc members

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree completely! I recently picked the 6500C3 up at Walmart on clearance for $54. It has the newer carbon matrix drag washers in it. You can pick up a nice Tiger rod for about $60 and you'll be set!

10. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Txriverman is steering you straight! Abu is a decent reel. As a matter of fact i thought reels were reels until i used a cabo levelwind. My opinions quickly changed! There is no comparison.......

11. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The plain old ABU 7000B(that is the bushing model) will handle any catfish in North America. There is a reason alot of us recommend Abu's, they work, they are reliable, and they will last for years. What is important to me is getting my money's worth, and when I can pass a reel down to my son that was built in the 70's and still catching fish I consider it a good reel. Penn also makes excellent reels, I own a couple of them, they are very affordable and will last for years and are a work horse of a reel, handle fresh and saltwater fish.
    I catfish, they don't make long, high speed runs like various saltwater fish do. I don't make cast after cast all day, like say a bass or musky fisherman might, so the number of bearings a reel has is not that important to me. What I do catch are catfish which fight very hard, and I have found the Abu's and Penns to be up to the challenge.

12. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    preach the truth my brother just preach it

13. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    They have a deal at www.catfishconnection.com that comes with a abu garcia 7000 and a 9ft berkely glowstick. for $119 or a 7000 with a 10ft glowstick for $123 or u could just get a 6500c3 or 7000c3 the 7000 if u wanna with a 7 or 8ft ugly stik tiger rod thats just me but thats my 2 cents worth.:smile2:

14. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Cant beat those Abus bought my first one this year and will be bying more in the future.

15. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with RamRod. There are a lot of great reels out there in your price range, but I wouldn't take anything for my 65/6600s and my Ugly sticks. As far as the line goes, 30 or 40 lb Big Cat line used with the the proper landing and drag technique will bring in almost anything you can hook into.

16. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm with Shucks, a lot of it depends on the guy using the reel,I have tidewaters, peens, abu's and others, they will all do the job if the drag is right,good big game,20 to 40# test and a good rod.