The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to buy 2-3 new rod and reel combos for fishing the Missouri River. I am in a rut trying to decide whether to go with a penn fathom, Okuma cold water, Abu Garcia C3 7000, or shimano Tekota as far as reels. I plan to put them on a medium heavy big cat fever casting rod. I wont be using them on a weekly basis more than likely, so i'm not sure if i want to spend a ton of money but then again I want it to last. Any opinions on what to get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
It casts pretty good. I always have my spool tensioner all the way off on all my reels so all get good distance, though some better than others. I really want more Abu 7000IC3s but can't find those anymore I had 3 at one point and sold them because I had so many reels, now I wish I had kept them. I sold like 20 rods and couldn't do anything with all the reels. Big mistake.
Ramon how well does the Penn Squall cast compared to the others?

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I use old Penn reels, so anything you mentioned is state of the art comparatively. As far as rods, I have two H BCF casting rods and one XH BCF casting rod. They are not fancy, but they are impressively built with high quality components......a work horse of a rod for sure.

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
2000% true. Even when you're reeling in 16oz and bait. Alot of times you think you lost your rig or bait because it reels everything in so smooth lol 50lb fish feel like 20s lol
As said they are all good reels but if you ever use a fathom you will feel the quality if you rigged them the same cast them out put on blind fold reel them in the fathom will stand out

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out a Lews Laser XL. They hold ~ 330 us of 20 lb test and have 15lb drag. Smooth drag too. Best thing, all gears are brass. Not just the main and crankshaft. Has clicker similar to that of an ABU. Has nice EVA knobs or you could change the handle out for a power handle. They list for ~ $70 MSRP. Got mine off amazon for $60. https://www.lews.com/casting/laserxl

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You stand a good chance of hitting a 100 pound blue in the Missouri River...therefore...I would go with the latest Fathom 20 size.

One of my fishing buddies just caught an 81 in the Missisippi and his friend landed a 120 from the same spot...in St. Louis yesterday.

Big fish in both waters.

Big fish are still there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Fishing the Missouri and not wanting to spend big money, as you stated, the Okuma Coldwater low-profile in the larger size (450) is your reel. Right now they are 50% off direct from Okuma, at under $100.

You do not want the round Okuma Coldwater, only the low profile model. Both the small and large low profile are durable, compact and handle big fish in heavy current.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well guys I ended up going with the okuma cold water 454. The penn Fathom was a close second place for me but since Okuma was having the half off sale running 95 dollars i couldn't pass it up.
I think you will get great service and satisfaction fishing your new reels. Can’t beat the price either. I use Shimano, Abu and Okuma low profile reels fishing the big rivers, all work well, only the Okuma still have a clicker if that matters. I have multiple Penn Fathoms but only use them for saltwater as the low profiles outperform them for catfishing. The Penns have better corrosion resistance in the salt, big deal there but not in fresh water. Enjoy and let us know!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am ready to buy 2-3 new rod and reel combos for fishing the Missouri River. I am in a rut trying to decide whether to go with a penn fathom, Okuma cold water, Abu Garcia C3 7000, or shimano Tekota as far as reels. I plan to put them on a medium heavy big cat fever casting rod. I wont be using them on a weekly basis more than likely, so i'm not sure if i want to spend a ton of money but then again I want it to last. Any opinions on what to get would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Can't go wrong, with a Penn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts