Which opening of the diversion canal do you like best?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flathead22, May 17, 2006.

1. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Which opening is the best for you as far as memorable experiences (big cat got off, got a big cat in, caught a lot of cats, etc)? Personally, I prefer the lake Marion side of the canal. Everyone talks about the Moultrie opening being such a great spot to catch cats (and big ones) but I have not had such good luck. Maybe I'll get lucky this time around when I come down to Santee Friday.

2. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I like the upper end of the canal when they're pulling water hard.I've caught alot of heavy fish up that way

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i prefer the upper end also. the first 75 yds on the right side going down.

4. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    i've never fished the lower end, but i definitely like the upper end better than than the middle of the canal. My biggest cat to date, a 42lber, came out about 300 yds from the upper opening of the canal.

5. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Gotta go with the lower opening.....put a 49lbr in the boat there several weeks ago. Also, this is the stop for late summer shellcrackers.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Lower end numerous flatheads and blues over 40lbs.Caught 6 blues over 30lbs in 35 minutes on the left side at the end of the canal one evening.That night I turned a diehard bass fisherman into a catfisherman.

7. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina

wow!!! lemme make sure i know where you are talking about...on the left side of the canal going into the lake or the left side of the canal coming into the canal from moultrie??

8. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Going toward Moultrie theres a small opening on the left right before the lake its 4 to 8 feet flat thats where we caught all the blues.That night was awsome there was 10 boats around us and you could hear drags and clickers goin off people were hollerin everybody was catchin em.That was the spring time shallow bite and I beleive thats about over now though.The flatheads were caught along the rocks that run out in the lake and some good blues too.Theres nothin like a 30lb blue in 4 foot of water.

9. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Lol Chris, I know what you mean! There is something "extra exciting" about catching big ones shallow....don't know what it is. i figure they should be cruising around the canal feeding and getting ready for spawn. do you reckon that could be the case?

10. bojuana

bojuana New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I was down that way last weekend.We fished both lakes with very little luck.In the two days I fished we cought flatheads 35lbs and15 lbs.they came from the canal on the upper end.We most allways go to the lower end of the canal for live bait. I'll be back down the second week of june and we will try it again.

11. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    :0a34: :006: Going down the canel from Harry's toward Canel Lake Resort,on right hand side there is a little white building right on the bank.I have taken many a good size cats off that site.Live bait is the ticket.I alway fish about 20 to 25 yards off the left bank.There is a big drop off there.Find it and you can find fish.I caught a 45 # there last May on a pound bluegill.The bigger the bait the bigger the fish is my old sayin.:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: :confident: :0a23:

12. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    "the little white house" is definently one of my favorite spots on the canal...i have caught big ones, too. however, we have caught 40 pound flatties off of a little piece of cut herring. it just varies with different people. personally, i have never caught a big cat on a big bait...you guessed it though, small ones only. i would have to say that my favorite hole on the canal is right at the opening to moultrie.